New Planer - Ripples

Steve in Phoenix

Jet  - JWP-15HH, 15" Planer, Helical Head

Howdy!

Photo shows what happens when I feed on the left side.  You can see the ripples peter-out as they approach the right side of the board, and feeding on the right side is smooth.  Feed rate at 16FPM.  Checked everything with the wooden block before running the board.  Board is about 7" wide.  Did not check anything with an indicator (trying to keep my  machinist ways in check).

The deepest of the ripples are about 0.004" -0.005" deep.

Thanks all!

20181113_181040.thumb.jpg.eb9303b2dad4c06dad2c35614a16511f.jpg

My first time on the forum...thanks guys!

So the board is 0.005" thinner on the ripple side...but...what strikes me is the regularity of the ripples spaced so far apart.  The outfeed roller is within 0.003 of round or concentricity (no convenient way to verify)..ok, I whipped out the indicator for that one...

Inserts look good.  Can't verify torque at the moment.. 

Also, the belt pulleys are out of alignment by 0.100 or less.  But nearly impossible to adjust...

Looks to me like the infeed roller is scoring the edge deeper than what the cutters are removing. Could be that the roller is poorly machined or there's hardened goop in that portion of the infeed roller grooves. The side to side disparity could be table to cutterhead parallelism needs a slight adjustment.

Mick is heading the direction I was trying to get clarification on.  Is this one of those Jet combos?  What is the model number?  That will let folks help you more specifically on adjustments although all of that is in the manual or should be.  Either way, a machine should not arrive THAT out of alignment off the pallet.  What's that old automotive industry term?   Seems this was not a Wednesday machine.

31 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Looks to me like the infeed roller is scoring the edge deeper than what the cutters are removing. Could be that the roller is poorly machined or there's hardened goop in that portion of the infeed roller grooves. The side to side disparity could be table to cutterhead parallelism needs a slight adjustment.

I'm thinking one of the table rollers may be running with a wobble.  I'll check this morning.

3 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Mick is heading the direction I was trying to get clarification on.  Is this one of those Jet combos?  What is the model number?  That will let folks help you more specifically on adjustments although all of that is in the manual or should be.  Either way, a machine should not arrive THAT out of alignment off the pallet.  What's that old automotive industry term?   Seems this was not a Wednesday 

Jet  - JWP-15HH, 15" Planer, Helical Head

The good news is that this is a twin of my Grizzly and it is pretty easy to adjust.  The bad news is that the pattern you show does not look like an adjustment issue BUT, let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

Firstly, I back the bed rollers to dead even or just below the surface of the bed.  Unless you are skip planing really rough stock, they are not your friend.  Second, get yourself a 1-2-3 block or other reliable "base" and hook a cheap Harbor Freight dial indicator to it.

Rotocator-poor-mans.jpg.de74f9fa11ef49705da01722a867a9f8.jpg

Presto, a poor man's Rotocator.  Remember, you do not have to measure any specific number, just the difference between two points.  I only mention this as not worrying about zero can save you a lot of time when doing these types of alignments.

Now follow the instructions in the manual for setting feed roller, cutterhead, etc. heights.  If the Jet manual is poor in this respect, the Grizzly G0453 manual on their site is pretty decent.

Once all of that reads good, we get to personal preferences.  I back the feed pressure on the feed rollers wayyyy off.  This will minimize the feed roller marks on softer woods like mahogany.  I also take the time to get the table dead flat.  Unlike lunchbox planers, a well aligned floor planer will be snipe free with good alignment and good stock control.

After all this (or before or during) if your marks remain or you notice some irregularity on the feed rollers to correspond with the marks you are getting, again . . . call Jet.

Checked everything with indicator...all looks good measurement-wise.  Reduced roller pressure lower, then as low as it would go.  The spacing changed, but the issue remains.

The dealer is happy to replace the machine, but I have to go through the Jet warranty process.  I spoke to them, and sent photos.  They might be able to solve the issue...

Ok, I have dialed in this machine.  The inserts are within 0.002" across the 15".  Infeed and outfeed rollers, and chipbreaker at -0.020".  Bed rollers at .001-.002".  And I need advice regarding managing expectations.

Over the years I have heard about the spiral cutters' glass-like finish.  If the reality is otherwise,  I need to know.

The photo attached comes with a couple of caveats...the ripples are 0.001" or less, and sand out easily with 150 grit.  And on that side of the planer are the belts, whose pulleys are out of alignment by at least 0.100", and may be causing vibration (in my opinion).  But seriously impossible to adjust.

If anyone would post a photo with revealing, raking light, of the kind of results they get with this type of planer, I would be most appreciative, and buy you a beer if you are in Phoenix...

20181116_164749.jpg