Sculptured Lectern/Music Stand

Bmac

6 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I hope all of your music stands end up on the same stage in front of musicians who have skills on par with your woodworking !  These all need to be signed and dated !

Thanks Steve, and yes these guys will be signed and dated!

5 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Bmac you do some amazing work!! One question on the top are the sides and the bottom applied or is that all one piece?

Those pieces are actually applied. I saved the post glueup cutoffs from the top piece when I squared/sized it and used those for the bottom ledge. That is why the grain match is so consistent. The side pieces where cutoffs from the top prior to the glueup of the panel.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Those pieces are actually applied. I saved the post glueup cutoffs from the top piece when I squared/sized it and used those for the bottom ledge. That is why the grain match is so consistent. The side pieces where cutoffs from the top prior to the glueup of the panel.

Nice job!! It was hard to tell, I was like dang how did he get that so even LOL

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Would you be willing to give me a week long class? this is awesome work!

Thanks Drew, really enjoying this project and it has been challenging. I'm not sure how much I can teach you, sometimes I feel like I'm just figuring out. When it comes to power and hand sculpting I feel like I learn something each time in the shop. Doing the Malloof Rocker with Marc's video instruction really gave me a sound base, and I enjoyed that project so much that I keep picking new projects to build off that.

As for a week long class we should meet at Spanky's for a week, do woodworking, get some nice stock, and you bring Megan's food. In the end I'll likely learn more from you and Spanky than I could ever teach.

• Like 2

Bmac a week long class sounds good. But I may need more than a week on woodworking. I could use the extra help sawmilling, you and chestnut can run the mill. It’s alittle step up from a chainsaw mill.  But I think chestnut needs to chainsaw mill two logs before he can saw on a bandmill. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Ok those have exceeded the furniture category . You are into the functional sculpture zone . That's a music stand for someone playing a Stradivarius !   I'm  Thinking signed, dated and a serial number with the appropriate insurance appraisal.......

Thank you for your high praise. I will say this was the most challenging piece I've done so far. Looking forward to completely the other two I'm working on.

3 hours ago, Spanky said:

Bmac you should get to sit on the front row at church in the morning.

No worries there, my wife makes me sit in the front (second row) every Sunday anyway. 

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Man that walnut is striking with it's color and grain. I'm assuming that we'll get to see all the stands together at some point?

I plan to get a photo of all three when finished. 

Yes, the colors in that walnut are pretty sweet. Well worth the wait with air dried wood.

7 hours ago, Spanky said:

Bmac did that walnut come from a farm that had cattle running on the farm? I have seen walnut that was cut on a cattle farm that had the same colors.The mineral salt that they feed cattle will make rainbow poplar over time.

You are a man that knows your wood and knows your cows. Yes, this Walnut is from the family farm, it was in a hedgerow along a fence line of a cow pasture field. 

I know the vibrant colors will fade as time goes by but I'll enjoy them while I can.

Most people don’t know that about mineral salt. The limestone rocks we have here in the south will make mineral stain in some trees. I like the mineral stain in some of the lumber, but not any oak it will have black streaks in the lumber. Mineral stain a down grade on all logs to the big boys, but not to the woodworkers. I can look at the end of a log and tell you if it has mineral stain in it. So can the guys that buy the logs and they will pay you alot less for them with mineral stain.

6 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

So now you know why such wood is popular with us poor hobby guys! :D

Ross the mineral stain wood not cheap to the woodworkers they will pay big money for it. Rainbow poplar has been the best selling lumber I have ever cut and I have cut alot of lumber.  Mineral stained walnut sells like new candy too. They are hard to find.

• Like 1