Another Roubo... (now finished!)

Art

1 hour ago, Pondhockey said:

Nice to see someone else with hockey sticks (and tree branches) in their shop!  Nice bandsaw, too.  ;-)

The pictures don't show the stinky hockey gear drying next to my stacks of wood, but that's not something anyone really needs to see...

The branch is actually a Kiwi vine.  It's awaiting some inspiration, but will likely end up as an art piece of some sort.

40 minutes ago, Art said:

The pictures don't show the stinky hockey gear drying next to my stacks of wood, but that's not something anyone really needs to see...

My parents for some reason keep trying to get me to take my hokey gear now that i have my own house. I just can't quite understand it.... :D

13 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

My parents for some reason keep trying to get me to take my hokey gear now that i have my own house. I just can't quite understand it.... :D

Coming from your neck of the woods, I expect you play a higher level of hockey than I do.  I once drove from Minneapolis to Duluth in late November, and saw probably hundreds of playgrounds being flooded for ice rinks.  Very impressive.

Back to roubo's....

• 2 weeks later...

I think that is the perfect place for that quilted maple. To some extent i don't think the regular person understands or appreciates figured wood. So putting it in a place where you will be able to appreciate it every time your working is a perfect place for it.

I'm really questioning the tail vise. I've been on the fence about it for a long time. I'm probably going to do it for no other reason that it's not terribly expensive but if i don't do it retrofitting it wouldn't be fun at all.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I think that is the perfect place for that quilted maple. To some extent i don't think the regular person understands or appreciates figured wood. So putting it in a place where you will be able to appreciate it every time your working is a perfect place for it.

I'm really questioning the tail vise. I've been on the fence about it for a long time. I'm probably going to do it for no other reason that it's not terribly expensive but if i don't do it retrofitting it wouldn't be fun at all.

Thanks!

About the tail vise: I was on the fence as well, but I'm quickly starting to see it's benefits.  All of the routing for the legs is made much easier using the vise.  Basically, it allows you to hold a work piece very firmly and allow access all around it without any clamps getting in the way.

45 minutes ago, Art said:

Thanks!

About the tail vise: I was on the fence as well, but I'm quickly starting to see it's benefits.  All of the routing for the legs is made much easier using the vise.  Basically, it allows you to hold a work piece very firmly and allow access all around it without any clamps getting in the way.

Do you have any plans for idk what they are called that sit in the dog hole and work with the tail vise. I know in the plans they are some clever wood spring device. I was thinking a dowel with a cap that stops it from falling through would work. I know there are also some lee valley products that would work but they seem like you have to plan ahead cause i can't remember the diameter of them and if they are the same as  most holdfasts.

29 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Do you have any plans for idk what they are called that sit in the dog hole and work with the tail vise. I know in the plans they are some clever wood spring device. I was thinking a dowel with a cap that stops it from falling through would work. I know there are also some lee valley products that would work but they seem like you have to plan ahead cause i can't remember the diameter of them and if they are the same as  most holdfasts.

I already bought some of the Lee Valley bench dogs  - http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=31127&cat=1,41637

You can just about see them in the photos above.  They are a little snug, but otherwise work well.  As long as you drill 3/4" dog holes, there are quite a few options, in addition to making you own using dowel stock.

I went this route because I also plan on drilling more dog holes in the top as I need them, so I figured this system would be more versatile than the traditional square dog holes.  I'm also planning on adding a couple of dog holes to my Moxon vise table, so that everything will be interchangeable.

10 minutes ago, RichardA said:

When I built my bench, I waned dog hole for homemade bench dogs and planing stops. I have Gramercy hold fasts, but these work great.  Simple, easy and functional as hell.

Pic 6.jpg

I like that idea with them not being metal. For some reason the metal plane stops just make me uncomfortable....

1 hour ago, Chet said:

That came out great, a really nice build.  Interesting detail on he chop.   I've been wanting to get work lamp like that for my bench for certain tasks.

They work really well Chet. I made a plug on the lathe that fits in a bench dog hole that also has a hole for the lamp that way i can use it anywhere on either of my benches. My eyes are pretty bad so I need for it DT's and I also use it a lot for my stained glass work.

• Like 1