Greetings from Tinonee NSW Australia

oldman_pottering

G'day

My name is Geoff, I am a 56 yo mechanic with an interest in woodworking (obviously).

I started recently (last 12 months) playing with timber as I researched ways to keep my shed organised, this lead me to purchasing a cheap table saw and making french cleats and prehistoric types of tool holders.

From this I have replaced my cheap table saw with a decent cabinet style saw ( as a mechanic I have a fondness of tools ), purchased a router, a drill press, a dust extraction unit , a small sander and a scroll saw.

As most of you will understand the first step towards what seemed a simple motive ( to organise my shed) has now become a permanent hobby involving the beginning of learning Sketchup, using a table saw, making crosscut sleds and a rotating tool stand for the scroll saw and sander ( none of which I am completely happy with ).

Basically I'm having a good crack at doing this but I have many many failures with basic operations and need a place to ask advice from like minded people.

To this extent you will more likely see me asking questions about woodworking in general such as "why can't I cut this damn bit of wood straight" ;)

Enough for now

Geoff

5 hours ago, oldman_woodworker said:

Basically I'm having a good crack at doing this but I have many many failures with basic operations and need a place to ask advice from like minded people.

Then you're going to fit right in.  Welcome to the forum!  You couldn't have come to a better place.

Welcome young man, your accent threw me off there for a second, but since we have several Aussies here I was able to compensate.  You're gonna like this bunch. There's a ton of experience willing to share, and you can search this site and find a lot of things that have been answered before.  Again Welcome.

Welcome to the forums Geoff.  As you have already found out on your own, woodworking is a never ending wandering journey in pursuit of never ending goals and skills.  It sounds like you are off to a great start.  Glad to have you join us.

4 hours ago, Mark J said:

Then you're going to fit right in.  Welcome to the forum!  You couldn't have come to a better place.

Thanks Mark, I did quite a bit of forum searching before I decided to make this my woodworking home 

4 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Welcome to the party, Geoff!

I have to say, your story sounds like many of us, at least the part about never being quite satisfied with the state of our work spaces!

Thanks wtnhighlander, if i spent as much time actually making things as I do trying to organise my shed I'd probably be busy organising my shed B)

3 hours ago, ..Kev said:

Welcome to the forums Geoff!

Thanks Kev 

3 hours ago, RichardA said:

Welcome young man, your accent threw me off there for a second, but since we have several Aussies here I was able to compensate.  You're gonna like this bunch. There's a ton of experience willing to share, and you can search this site and find a lot of things that have been answered before.  Again Welcome.

Thanks Richard, I tried to type without an accent so as not to confuse anyone :D

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Welcome to the forums Geoff.  As you have already found out on your own, woodworking is a never ending wandering journey in pursuit of never ending goals and skills.  It sounds like you are off to a great start.  Glad to have you join us.

Thanks Chet, I like your description of a never ending journey and never ending goals etc :) Describes me to a T

• Like 2

Welcome from Victoria (don't hold that against me) Geoff. The group here is a good bunch. 

You can post your ongoing work in Project Journals: https://www.woodtalkonline.com/forum/58-project-journals/ or Finished work in Project Showcase: https://www.woodtalkonline.com/forum/77-video-and-project-showcase/

Or choose one of the many sub forums and ask away. Much of the timber and tool talk relates to the USA but the woodworking knowledge and advice here is excellent.

23 hours ago, lewisc said:

Welcome from Victoria (don't hold that against me) Geoff. The group here is a good bunch. 

You can post your ongoing work in Project Journals: https://www.woodtalkonline.com/forum/58-project-journals/ or Finished work in Project Showcase: https://www.woodtalkonline.com/forum/77-video-and-project-showcase/

Or choose one of the many sub forums and ask away. Much of the timber and tool talk relates to the USA but the woodworking knowledge and advice here is excellent.

Thanks for the welcome Lewis

No problem about being a Victorian, we all need to live somewhere :rolleyes: Most importantly is attitude and willingness to help.

I really don't have any projects to show ( none that Im proud of anyway) but I appreciate the advice 

17 hours ago, wdwerker said:

You might have to resize some pictures . There is a size limit on uploads. I am not very tech savvy so I can answer questions. I often crop the photo to remove unnecessary stuff then use an app on my tablet to reduce the file size. Once it's under the limit they upload .

Thanks for the tip :rolleyes: