Dead blow hammer

Ronn W

46 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I made a mallet of my own. I use it when i need to hit something hard be it a chisel of hold fast. Buying one works but they are fun to make and eat up small size scraps. Ya know like those walnut ones that are sitting on one of your worksurfaces

This guy is subtle as a dead blow. :P

I don't have the Gramercy holdfast, just a cheapo from Amazon. I use a Snap-on 32 oz dead blow on it. You don't have to whack it very hard. 

I used to have the old Snap-on compothane dead blow hammer, and when it went bad the Snap-on guy I exchanged it with said wow, we haven't had those in 35 years! I told him that's about how long I'd had it... 

FF7A6F9A-8714-452C-BE54-D3A33EE8EB4A.jpeg

• Like 1

I use a steel hammer on the Gramercy holdfasts, and have been doing so for 10 years now. They are undamaged. I find that the steel hammer sets and releases the holdfast faster and with fewer wacks. The more yielding hammers (wooden, rubber and deadblow) tend to cushion the blow.

Regards from Perth

Derek

No holdfasts in my life, but when soething needs a whack I call on "Uncle Joe"

20190102_1048501.thumb.jpg.0cf2e43bf95844b2b9f7dd06303e8252.jpg

When my wife's Uncle Joe passed away she inherited most of his estate.  He didn't have much in the way of tools, but there was this mallet, which was probably his father's before him.  

While it has taken some beatings, it still has more to dish out and I find I like the form factor.