Advice on finding the right set of tools

Hellsrage

I've finally decided to start looking into tools for building some things for myself. I primarily plan on building enclosures for reptiles I own as well as stands/tables to support them but I'll probably dabble in other things as well. Some of these enclosures would be of a decent size something like 4'x2'x3' possibly larger if I ever get something that requires it and definitely some that are taller rather than wide.

I'm not really sure what type of tools I should look into getting. I'd like to keep the cost as low as reasonably possible while still trying to get tools that are of decent quality. I figure I'll probably need a table saw, a cordless drill, some type of sander, jigsaw?, files, and clamps. I'm really not sure what all types of tools are out there and what I should be looking to get to support my specific needs initially. 

Yep, what @Chet said. Watch lots of youtubes until you have a pretty good idea of the mechanics of what you want to accomplish. Once you decide you want to dive in, some basic shop tools would be:

- Table saw. Don't go for a jobsite saw unless you need to regularly transport it all over the place. No idea what your budget is, but a cabinet saw is nicest, but at least get a decent contractor saw.

- Circular saw & shop made straight edge

- Cordless drill & bits

- Random orbital sander

- Shop made cross cut sled for the table saw

- medium size router kit with a fixed base & a plunge base

- Jigsaw

- Shop vac. A good sized one that can be used for basic dust collection

- Basic hand tools: combination square, framing square, tape measure, ruler, screw drivers, hand saw(s), a couple of chisels

- Safety stuff. Respirator, glasses, hearing protection.

That's all my brain will spew out right now, but it's a start. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2019 at 12:30 PM, Immortan D said:

I don't know anything about those enclosures for reptiles, but If your plan is to build them with plywood, you can start with a track saw, a drill and a pocket hole jig, such as the Kreg K5.

For simple enclosures you're basically making a box mostly made of plywood, melamine or PVC with the front also having some sort of a sliding window or hinged door(sometimes both) using glass or acrylic. You'll also have to make holes/slots for getting the wires out of the enclosure for all the light fixtures/accessories and for ventilation. Depending on the plans they may also have an accessible cabinet built into the top of the enclosure so that the light fixtures are kept inside the enclosure but not directly inside the area accessible by the animal.

Personally I plan on using primarily plywood but I may also use some PVC. 

First time I've heard of a track saw before I like it a lot but I think a table saw would suit me better for this.

On 2/26/2019 at 12:38 PM, Chet said:

I think I would do a search on youtube for people building those types of enclosures and take note of the tools they use.  I would watch different makers to get an overview of the different tools each uses.  Some may involve a process you don't care for.  Find a technique that looks comfortable to you that may involve the least amount of money and your skill set and take a look at the types of tools they use.

Honestly it's decently hard to find enclosure build videos that show the whole process. Most of the time people are either getting everything cut at the store or they just don't show much more than assembly. There is still a lot of good info in these but generally not when it comes to working with wood. I would definitely want to be capable of cutting the wood myself since no doubt I will make errors.

7 hours ago, ..Kev said:

What part of the country are you in?  Maybe the gang here know of some local resources that can help as well..

I'm located in Riverside, California.

Thanks for the list @drzaius, that's quite useful.

A cabinet saw is definitely out of my budget. From a bit of googling around what I'm looking to spend it seems most people recommend either the Rigid R4512 or Delta 36-725, personally I was leaning more towards the Delta.

As for the rest of the power tools minus the router, would buying a combo kit be the best and most cost effective way of acquiring them? 

I've got the Ridgid saw, and have generally been happy with it. The two seem very similar to me, with the Delta having maybe a slightly better fence, but the Ridgid seems better enclosed for dust. I've got no direct experience with the Delta, other than looking it over.

The only real complaint I have with the Ridgid is that I've had to fiddle with adjusting the riving knife a few times, and I would have preferred a one piece fence rail. I'd buy it again without regrets.

15 hours ago, Hellsrage said:

A cabinet saw is definitely out of my budget. From a bit of googling around what I'm looking to spend it seems most people recommend either the Rigid R4512 or Delta 36-725, personally I was leaning more towards the Delta.

When the R4512 first came out there were lots of reports of alignment issues, but that's been resolved, so you want to be careful if a uses one shows up at an attractive price. The Ridgid is where my money would go.

I have an issue with Delta machinery. The company has been bought & sold multiple times over the last 10 or 15 years & has a horrendous record for bad customer service. The icing on the cake is that the current owners, upon buying the company trashed the entire stock of replacement parts for products that were not currently in production. Basically, it was a kick in the balls to any one (me included) who owned one of those machines. That kind of corporate mentality doesn't sit well with me and I take it as an indication of possible future behavior.

It is not likely that I will ever buy, or recommend, a Delta tool again.

I have a Delta 22-580 planer & it is a gem, probably second only to the Dewalt 735 in the lunchbox planer category. If anything ever breaks though, I'm screwed.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 2:37 PM, Hellsrage said:

I've finally decided to start looking into tools for building some things for myself. I primarily plan on building enclosures for reptiles I own as well as stands/tables to support them but I'll probably dabble in other things as well. Some of these enclosures would be of a decent size something like 4'x2'x3' possibly larger if I ever get something that requires it and definitely some that are taller rather than wide.

I'm not really sure what type of tools I should look into getting. I'd like to keep the cost as low as reasonably possible while still trying to get tools that are of decent quality. I figure I'll probably need a table saw, a cordless drill, some type of sander, jigsaw?, files, and clamps. I'm really not sure what all types of tools are out there and what I should be looking to get to support my specific needs initially. 

The size of your shop/work area determine what tools you can have, but a circular saw and drills are essential. 

Are you making these to be decorative pieces of furniture, or just housing a large number of reptiles for breeding? I have an Iguana and two bearded dragons that I've made cages for. The bearded dragon cage came first, and the fake rock surrounding turned out horribly; I got a little better by the second one. There are still things I wish I'd done differently. If you want to do the fake rock, I would recommend coating the foam with Stucco mix or surfacing cement with fibers. I used the surface cement on areas my iguana climbs on, and did not think of the basking area where he just sits and scratches the wall, pulling all the foam off.

First cage

028.thumb.JPG.fadcc69d720cae9b1e176d32881df547.JPG

Second Cage

IMG_20171016_152638168.thumb.jpg.94a95c10c2f97cb18c9678435ee2b3a7.jpg