Chicago Parking Help

Chestnut

Going to Chicago this week. Driving because airfare between MSP and CHI isn't as inexpensive as it once was and driving doesn't take much longer if it isn't faster :mellow:.

I was looking into paying for parking ahead of time with the Iparkit website. Have any of you guys used it and is pay ahead of time worth it? Does it save some hassle?

I'll be paying for 70 hours of parking so it's goign to be expensive but gas + parking is still less than 1 airline ticket and frankly my car is FAR more comfortable.

Just gonna flag a few that i know are from the area @Mark J @Isaac? Any one can weight in.

In Chicago, have some dollar bills with you that you can get to quickly.  The last time we drove through there, some guy jumped out, and washed our windshield at a stoplight, and we didn't have any loose money with us.  I thought he was going to key the car, or something worse.

Talking about driving other peoples' cars...My first job, when I went to school in South Florida, was parking cars at a nightclub in Ft. Lauderdale called the Bachelors Three.  Joe Namath was one of the owners, and they had big name entertainers in every week.  I drove everything from Ferrari's, to Rolls Royces.   I was staying at a motel right across the street while I was looking for a place to live for going to school when I first went down there.  The guy running parking came across the street desperately looking for help because no one else showed up that night.  I worked there doing almost every job they had for the next two years, several nights a week.

14 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I would have done the hotel but it's vallet only & $63/night

Wow.  My wife and daughter were in Boston the other night, and the hotel was $50/night - and I thought that was crazy.  

I don't know much about that area, but it might be worth it to cast a wider net (i.e. look maybe just outside the city) for cut rate parking,and then take an Uber into the city.  Also - check the airport...some airports have bulk discount "off airport" parking that might be appealing.

Man who would have thought holding the door would be so contentious.It doesn't bother me but i always think it's funny when i hold the door for someone and they put their hand on it as if to keep it open.... Just walk through the door and say thank you i'm not going to slam it in your face.

32 minutes ago, Jfitz said:

Wow.  My wife and daughter were in Boston the other night, and the hotel was $50/night - and I thought that was crazy.  

I don't know much about that area, but it might be worth it to cast a wider net (i.e. look maybe just outside the city) for cut rate parking,and then take an Uber into the city.  Also - check the airport...some airports have bulk discount "off airport" parking that might be appealing.

I found a place a block away that was $60 for 72 hours so i'm going that route.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jfitz said:

A stick shift is probable one of the more effective theft deterrents out there these days :)

About 2 years ago a friend asked if I would  move the 1975 chev pickup for him....3 on the tree.  He was a little surprised when I came around the corner.

Homeless:  every city has homeless and big cities more than small.  Chicago is no exception.  For the most part these folks are not aggressive.  If you are approached by someone with a squirt bottle and squeegee just wave them off--unless you want to give them some money.  Still it behooves you when moving about any big city to keep an eye on your surroundings. 

Tipping:  Well as much as I wish this were outlawed (people should just get paid appropriately).  If the door man hales you a cab he'll be expecting a tip, so having a few bucks handy is good advice.

Holding doors and other manners:  It's the midwest, you already know what to do.

2 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I’m sorry I’ve been out town, just saw this. Where are you staying? There is free parking in Chicago if you are savvy, but your $60 option is probably fine. Probably too late anyways. 

Allegro in the north loop,i think. Ended up being 60 for 3 days seemed like a decent deal compared to the 63 per night at the hotel.