New shop floor

Chet

I think others have covered this but how is the smell and off gassing? Some day I'll do this but i have a basement shop. Pretty sure this is the same stuff they use for indoor ice rinks and they always seem to have a stink to them, the rinks. Though i'd bet the biggest contributor to that stink is the hockey players....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think it is over powering but there is a bit of a "tire shop" smell to it.  But when I was working with the power tools I was getting more of the smell of the lumber, but the next morning the tire shop smell is back.  My shop is in what used to be a two car garage :P and being in sunny California, I usually have the door open as I did yesterday and the odor was negligible.

Their information says that if you wash it with a soapy solution it will remedy the off gassing.  For me its not that bothersome.  I know it goes away be cause the therapist floor has no odor but it probably gets moped regularly.

• Like 1

Looks great Chet! I have had the same tiles for over a year now and they are great. I find I can spend substantially more time in the shop without my back getting sore.

Drew I had some off gassing early on but nothing overpowering and it was gone within a week.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mark J said:

How would they be to have under the machinery?  Would the casters sink in?

I can't answer to that Mark, non of my machinery sits on it.  If I had to guess I would say that it might sink in some but the minute you move it it would spring back.  They have a Q & A on their website, you might want t check that.

4 minutes ago, Tom King said:

That's good stuff.   The smell won't last long at all, or at least it's way stronger for the first few days, and then tapers off.

Your right Tom, I put this down Wednesday afternoon and already I can hardly smell it.  Even when it was new the smell wasn't obnoxious at all.

We used that same stuff for a long time at trade shows. Then we all got older and pounding it together and taking it apart 3 days later got to be more than we wanted.

We usually put it down before bringing the machinery in, so large CNC routers sat on it with no problems. Probably helped dissipate vibration. 

I'm going to put it down in my shop once I solve my drainage issues. <_<

Chet, that’s a neat deal. My brother just removed his hardwood flooring in his house and is putting it in his shop and after walking on it, I’m envious. Would not work in mine due to cost of new boards and as my shop/garage has gotten water 3 times due to heavy flooding. Sounds like this might be my answer. What is the yellow border in the 3rd pic? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belle City WW said:

That is great to know, I am currently using the Harbor Freight Shop Mats and it is not so easy to roll machinery around on it!

These are so much better quality then HF's mats.  You can send for a free sample from this company if you want to see what they are like.