Living Room Tables

Chestnut

So in my style search I stumbled upon Seth Rolland and was instantly drawn by some of the work that he created. I don't think I'm going to go quite as far as he did but something along these lines.

I'm not even sure if the piece will fit but it's going to be the one oddball piece in the room so i figure why not try something new. If i don't like it i can always put it somewhere else or maybe try and sell it.

12 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Very nice Drew, and i like the shine on the truck!

Man that picture hides it well it needs a clean.... I must have gotten it's good side. It's 1 year old this week and i only put on 16,500 miles which is about 4,000 less than i was expecting so i'm happy.

4 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Very nice, and I'm comfortable with your process.  I used a piece of sandpaper messing with a molding plane a day, or so ago, and I found myself curling up one side of my upper lip like a dog starting an argument.

I guess there is a time and a place for sandpaper.... :D 

So one of the tables i'm making is going to be quite narrow 11" top so the base is 8.5" to allow for overhang. Most of the A&C furniture in this room has side slats like above but generally a bit beefier like the Morris chair.

So my question is. Should I put a slat on a narrow side like the one pictured below?

0822192039.thumb.jpg.72c559f2db542a91990e27608892803f.jpg

I tried setting a piece of material behind it to see if that helps visualie it at all.

0822192040.thumb.jpg.de74da6ac1f79a86bad045f16096a6a9.jpg

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Wait, now I'm confused. This represents slats, or the whole side?

Sorry this was the concept for the one table that is goign to be different from the rest. It's not the slats for the side in question.

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I think it will look weird with slats unless they are quite small. But then it won't look as much like A&C. I think I would test three small / thin slats, and just leave them off if it looks wrong.

I was thinking just 1 larger slat similar to how a 2 panel A&C door would look. though 3 narrow slats may work as well i might have to look at that tonight.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looks really cool, but I would think the saw cuts under tension would tend to split over time. It would be interesting to see how that Seth Rolland guy's stuff holds up.

I'm not sure... For the final piece I'm going to try and find something that is pretty strait grained and just go for it. If it breaks down the road so be it. Can't learn from failure if nothing fails. Though I'm not puling very hard on it to get it to open up like this.

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

It doesn’t matter. How the heck did he do that:mellow:

It's fairly simple I made slices from different directions on the band saw that went 7/8ths the length of the board and stopped. Then you just pull the piece apart and i put spaces in to stop it from pulling back together like a slinky.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chestnut said:

So my question is. Should I put a slat on a narrow side like the one pictured below?

I didn't like the single big slat so much, it looks too robust for a living room table.  On the other hand I'm not sure that a three slat design will scale down very well either.  The side panel might be something worth mocking up in card board.

Another thought.  That "different from the rest" design is very cool.  Have you considered using that for your small table?

45 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I didn't like the single big slat so much, it looks too robust for a living room table.  On the other hand I'm not sure that a three slat design will scale down very well either.  The side panel might be something worth mocking up in card board.

Another thought.  That "different from the rest" design is very cool.  Have you considered using that for your small table?

x2