Protecting Lumber While it Seasons

Hammer5573

I had some left over deck stain I sawed a couple small apple logs I got from a neighbor on my band saw painted the end grain with that it worked great no checking yet that was 5yrs ago. I've heard of people just using latex paint, it's just seals the ends to slow the drying of the wood. 

2 hours ago, Hammer5573 said:

I recently obtained a large amount of white oak and ash. I want to minimize the cracking that occurs on the ends and I remember seeing posts about different products that are designed for this. Can anyone recommend a good product..?

Was the wood already dry? If the wood is dry it's not nearly as critical to seal the ends. 

When wood is wet, end checking begins almost immediately, I always seal my logs within hours of dropping the trees. So if the wood is in the process of drying sealing the ends now will likely not prevent cracking.

As for products to seal the ends, latex paint is not nearly as effective as anchorseal. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I have used anchorseal and Rockler green wood sealer with good results. I have not tried end sealing after two weeks but it should still help, especially if you have thicker boards.

Regarding the tarp - Do not cover a stack of green wood tightly with a tarp. Your wood needs air circulation to dry and prevent mildew and insect damage. 

Most sawyers cover the stack with something such as corrugated roofing or slabs to shed water and leave the sides and ends uncovered. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, elrodk said:

Most sawyers cover the stack with something such as corrugated roofing or slabs to shed water and leave the sides and ends uncovered. 

I did that with great success on three different occasions. Being a little OCD, I covered the sides with landscape fabric to allow  air circulation but mitigate rain blown in from the sides. I also used cheap latex paint on the ends and worked well on the checking.