help with purchasing an upgraded table saw?

morrd223

Hello all - first time/long time...

trying to decide on an upgrade for my table saw.

Current set up is an old and hard-used Delta/Rockwell Model 10 contractor saw -- but I am looking to upgrade to something a little better with a few more modern conveniences.

I was looking at hybrid saws since I want something relatively sturdy like my Rockwell, but I am only a hobbyist, so a huge cabinet saw feel unnecessary.

Money is not quite 'no object'; but Im ready to make a serious investment that will serve for years and years.

My biggest limitations are power and space - I can only access 120v power at the moment; and I'm a little space constrained, so ideally the saw would be able to roll up against the wall when not in use, while rolling into the middle of the shop when using it (my current set up just has heavy duty casters bolted to it).

I have seen a few recomendations online for the Rigid R4520, the SawStop contractor saw models, Grizzly's (though I'm not sure if I can move them around as easily).

Any recs/thoughts are very welcome.

If I were in your shoes, I would skip the hybrid saw and go straight to a cabinet saw. Most hybrid saws have the same trunnion setup your saw does, so going to a hybrid saw won't buy you much.

I have the same saw you do - bought it 40 years ago. I upgraded the motor to an industrial quality 2 HP TEFC motor and upgraded the fence to a Biesemeyer 52". After aligning it, the saw has been reliable and done everything I have asked if it. I am having a hard time seeing what kind of an upgrade a hybrid saw would be. 

• Like 1

I was in the same boat as you 2-3 years ago. I went with the Delta 36-725. It has a 30" rip capacity, t-square fence and  built in mobile base. A lot of people have added a router table to the right side. (i have not). It can be wired for 110V or 220V. The dust collection is not he best and the throat plats are an odd size. I can be a little of a pain to set up and align. But i still really like it. 

Delta upgraded this to the  36-725-T2 version earlier this year. Those machine have had  some issues. (research online). There is a guy on Facebook that has developed an electronics upgrade kit to deal with the factory issues. Also Delta announced id had fixed the issue.

In my opinion, after doing a lot of research when I was buying, this saw is the best bang for you buck.

Jeremy

2248737.jpg

4 hours ago, morrd223 said:

Money is not quite 'no object'; but Im ready to make a serious investment that will serve for years and years.

4 hours ago, morrd223 said:

My biggest limitations are power and space - I can only access 120v power at the moment

Those 2 qualifiers don't necessarily go well together. As one who went from a 120V contractor saw to a 240V cabinet saw, I can tell you that the upgrade was worth every penny. Decide how much power you will want & don't let the availability of 240V weigh too heavily in the decision. You could always get a long, heavy gauge extension cord to use for now.

A cabinet saw takes up less room than a contractor saw because the motor doesn't hang out the back. A mobility base can easily be put on whatever saw you choose.

If you want to go fairly posh, the SawStop PCS, 3 HP with the 36" T-glide fence and the ICS mobile base, is a very nice piece of kit. Just about as nice a hobby shop saw as you can get. Course, I'm not biased :) 

Have fun with the hunt. I love shopping for new tools.

Take a closer look at the Grizzly 1023. It can be configured comfortably with a mobile base, you can if you'd like add a wing with a router insert, and it's 3HP, with a riving knife and blade cover.  It wouldn't hurt to look. I love mine, and so do a number of others here.

• Like 1

The Delta that @rainjer mentioned is probably a good fit for tight space and portability. The current model I looked at in my local Lowes store reveals a bit of difference in design. The blade is direct-driven, which allows the motor to stay tucked under the table, but it uses a screw jack and linear guides for elevation, not a trunnion.  Not sure how the motor size and direct drive affect cut depth, as the floor model I inspected had no blade. If going this route, I would definitely take advantage of the blade shroud dust collection, because I suspect a buildup of dust around the elevation mechanism would lead to problems in short order. 

But ... if you want this to be your last upgrade, the saw @RichardA mentioned as a pretty good buy, and a lot more machine.

It’s hell getting forgetful! Who is the new company that just took over a smaller company that made quality rated saws? I swore that if my Jet JPS Pro Shop ever goes bonkers, I would seriously look into it. But, unless it ever goes seriously bad, I’ll stick with the Jet. 

54 minutes ago, Coop said:

It’s hell getting forgetful! Who is the new company that just took over a smaller company that made quality rated saws? I swore that if my Jet JPS Pro Shop ever goes bonkers, I would seriously look into it. But, unless it ever goes seriously bad, I’ll stick with the Jet. 

Festool and SawStop?

No sir. Darn, should have written it down. Glad the Jet is still performing.  As a hobbyist, the Jet has served me very well with a thin kerf blade, with the exception of when I need a full flat kerf, but the dust collection leaves a little to be desired. 

59 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Coop, are thinking of Harvey? They made machines for other brands, and recently started selling under their own name. Their bandsaws look excellent, and a good value. The tablesaw line looks nice too, but I haven't researched them as much. I believe it is Harvey that now own Bridge City Tool Works.

I think Ross got it Coop.  If I ever need a new Dust collector Harvey would be high on my list.  They have a really different design the version I was looking at would fit under a normal size counter, like one side of a miter station. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't go with the Ridgid if you're looking at hybrid saws. I've got the older version, the 4512, and it's been great, but the price is several hundred more in the US than what I paid. At that point, I'd be looking at something more like the Grizzly mentioned above or the Laguna F1 also looks interesting (assuming you're not looking at the Sawstop level). The newer version Ridgid saw, the R4520, seems to have a major design flaw around the riving knife and the elevation mechanism. I'm in the facebook group for those saws and I've seen a couple dozen instances where people had to exchange the saw because it wrecked the trunnion surface (which is now aluminum on the that version).

With the 120v limitation I would consider putting your money into a quality used fence.  No need to throw money at what will probably be a fairly small step up.  The round-rail fence on my 34-434 (or whatever) was never up to the task.  Since then I have had Align-a-Rip, Biesemeyer, Saw Stop Bies-clone; all were a great step up from the stock Delta fence.  Just food for thought.  A few hundred in fence, pulleys and belt can make a contractor saw perform better than new.

15 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Coop, are thinking of Harvey? They made machines for other brands, and recently started selling under their own name. Their bandsaws look excellent, and a good value. The tablesaw line looks nice too, but I haven't researched them as much. I believe it is Harvey that now own Bridge City Tool Works.

Yes sir, Thanks!!

14 hours ago, Chet said:

I think Ross got it Coop.  If I ever need a new Dust collector Harvey would be high on my list.  They have a really different design the version I was looking at would fit under a normal size counter, like one side of a miter station. 

I'm seriously considering that DC.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RichardA said:

Take a closer look at the Grizzly 1023. It can be configured comfortably with a mobile base, you can if you'd like add a wing with a router insert, and it's 3HP, with a riving knife and blade cover.  It wouldn't hurt to look. I love mine, and so do a number of others here.

Richard right about the Grizzly. That saw has been around for years and was upgraded with a riving knife a few years ago. It has won numerous awards over the years. Everything I have heard says it is a good saw and low enough price that you can get a 240 volt outlet for it.

5 hours ago, Robby W said:

Richard right about the Grizzly. That saw has been around for years and was upgraded with a riving knife a few years ago. It has won numerous awards over the years. Everything I have heard says it is a good saw and low enough price that you can get a 240 volt outlet for it.

It can be configured for 120 volt, but if you can get 240 volt you're much better off. The fence is damn near right on out of the box, and to get it right takes just a little tweaking. The original blade that comes with the saw is close to junk, but it's a fair backup, when your good blade is getting sharpened. Or you could just kill a six pack till the good blade is back.

• Like 1