Making chainsaw-cut 6x6 posts straight

Raiz

Howdy folks! I have been using a chainsaw mill to create some 6x6 cedar posts 14' long that I intend to use to build a garage in a couple months. These posts are coming out.... well... less than perfectly square and straight. Is there a recommended method for taking off the required amount of wood to get them square and straight?

I have a Dewalt planer (735x), but these posts are heavy and long, and I'm not sure if it's the right tool for the job.

1 hour ago, Don Z. said:

Why push the board through the planer when you can have the planer walk down the board?

That's pretty slick! I wish my brain worked that way LOL

When I see it I think wow that might actually work but had I not seen it I would have never thought of it.

16 hours ago, Raiz said:

That sucker is expensive! I'm guessing something like this or a hand planer is my only option....

The 3.5” version can be had for about $200 and what Tom linked for about $600. I saw wide variance so thought I’d fill that conversation out. He posted the bigger tool as a single pass covers your work. The much cheaper 3.5” would take multiple passes, requiring blending etc., but is a like idea at a cheaper price point. You have to ask yourself how often you plan to do this, vs what price you could spin and sell the tool, gently used. Honestly, it’s the right tool, and a small percentage of the cost of a garage. Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

Right on. I figure with each 6x6 post I make, I save myself about $60, so about $1200 saved on the final project. Buying a $600 tool I'll only use once severely cuts into that money saved. Building long tables with a "slippery" top on each end of my existing planer is the most appealing to me at the moment.

3 hours ago, Raiz said:

Right on. I figure with each 6x6 post I make, I save myself about $60, so about $1200 saved on the final project. Buying a $600 tool I'll only use once severely cuts into that money saved. Building long tables with a "slippery" top on each end of my existing planer is the most appealing to me at the moment.

You can use a sled in the planer to flatten, but squaring it up will be tricky. How far out of straight & square are they? You may lose a lot of wood chasing square & straight.

6 hours ago, Raiz said:

Just keep in mind that, even with a long table, the machine will try to make the top parallel with the bottom. So, if the post has a bow or twist, you may also need an auxiliary sled to fasten the post to until you have the first side flat. Small shims will support it while making the cut. Then, of course, turn it 90 degrees and make sure the first flat surface is perpendicular to the sled to flatten the next surface square to the first. After that the sled is not needed.