The price of shipping lumber

curlyoak

There are independent truckers that have a site (forget the name of it) that when they don’t have a full load and are going between your two points, and have/had pretty good prices. It has been a couple of years since I used that site. Just make sure their trailer is covered and not a flat bed due to the weather. 

Also, it looks like there should be some oak closer to you than Indiana unless you got a good deal? 

14 hours ago, Coop said:

There are independent truckers that have a site (forget the name of it) that when they don’t have a full load and are going between your two points, and have/had pretty good prices. It has been a couple of years since I used that site. Just make sure their trailer is covered and not a flat bed due to the weather. 

Also, it looks like there should be some oak closer to you than Indiana unless you got a good deal? 

Tennessee is overwhelmed with oaks, red and white. it's less expensive here, so you might want to check around this area a bit.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RichardA said:

it's less expensive here, so you might want to check around this area a bit.

What is the going rate for 4/4 q sawn fas 7" and wider? The quality is exelent and the price is fair at Frank Miller. It is the freight that is excessive.

1/4" 4 x 8 bc fir is $37 plus each.  

I am happy with the price of the wood. For what I am buying I feel I am getting good value. It might be as much or more in Tennesee. Also Frank Miller lumber is one of the largest provider of q sawn oak. reliable on quality and competitive on price. The freight is the killer.

I got a load of walnut from Hood. So called fas. It was at least one grade less. I had to trash one complete board. It was free freight but less than fas and problems. Free freight with a $500 min. on their truck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coop said:

) Make the trip yourself or

No logic for that.

6 hours ago, Coop said:

2) @Tpt lifemade you an offer

Calendars do not match

The customer awarded me with a commitment and a deposit and will absorb the outrageous freight.

Thanks for your ideas.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JohnG said:

I guess I’m confused. Was this thread just to vent about shipping prices? Doesn’t seem like you are looking for any input other than to agree that shipping heavy and bulky lumber is expensive.

No vent. I was looking for access to a better opportunity. Like the idea Tom King has. Thank you Tom!