Roubo vs Hybrid Workbench

Jonathan McCully

Starting this thread to get everyone’s thoughts on Marc’s new workbench. I’ve been planning a Roubo build for quite awhile now, likely to start next summer after my workshop is built. I like the heft of the Roubo and the classic look of it as well as the high-quality vices from Benchcrafted, however, I also like that Marc designed his new bench to be more functional for a hybrid woodworker. I’m curious what everyone else thinks about it.

Marc's build is very similar to a design Lon Schlining had in one of his books and very similar to the bench I am hoping to build: basically a heavy Roubo-ish style thick top and a trestle base. My current work bench is very similar and has worked well for me. Done right, the trestle base is very stable and relatively easy to build. It breaks down easily for moving. Another neat thing is I can reuse the base for a different top if I want and I can change the length of the base by just resizing the stretchers.

I like Marc's design and would go that way if I had the choice.

• Like 1

I haven't really looked at Marc's new bench yet, but the description sounds like you say... a Roubo-ish style, with adjustments to better accommodate power tools. Honestly, that approach is the best thing most of us should take from the project. Think about your work habits and methods, and design the bench to fit your needs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

I haven't seen the new bench.  Do you have a URL for it?

He released to YouTube on the Woodwhisperer account. 

Marc never said he disliked the first bench. He is a content creator who is at least partially responding to requests from his audience. As a platform leader, he has a good audience in which to auction that first bench for charity. I don’t personally see any way it is “better” for any particular style of work, but rather “more convenient” for certain situations. A bench is such a fluid thing, with so many multitudes of options. Do your research, build the bench that is convenient for your situation. 

• Like 1

I don't see any reason why you couldn't add the extra things that are on his new bench into the Roubo build. That said there is no reason you couldn't incorporate the power tool items that Marc has put on the new bench into a roubo. The new bench really is a roubo just with less lumber in the legs and top and cheaper hardware.

I also agree Bench crafted hardware is awesome. I don't know how marc is going to stand using the cheap stuff. I honestly think in a year or 2 he'll be making another bench with new BC hardware.

If someone wanted to save money I think making the bench out of softwood would help, as long as higher quality wood is used and it's dried further than how it's sold from the lumber yard. I also think the wagon vise is completely unnecessary. I didn't install mine in an effort to save money and it's been 2 years and I've never once ordered it because i felt it was missing.

I'm going to be blunt, of all of Marcs arguments for the new bench I think all of them except cost are absurd. The original roubo was designed with knock down hardware. The size is EASILY changed from the plans. If a roubo is too complicated to make, hang up woodworking because the roubo is about as easy as it gets.

My argument on the cost is this, if you are considering a roubo, you obviously are making enough stuff that the cost of your tools shouldn't be much of a consideration. If your that hard on cash where you think making your own furniture is going to save you money just don't start wood working and buy your furniture from Ikea or start following Steve Ramsey. Woodworking is not a money saving adventure.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

'Nut, I think the real point is that Marc makes content for a living, not furniture. Exploring different workbench options opens a huge field of possibilities for new content.

I agree 200%. It's prefect business sense to capitalize on his #1 project sale. Most that bought the original roubo will probably buy this one. I can appreciate good business sense and not agree with the product or intent.

Though I'm not sure i understand your comment in context with my post. My points are counter arguments to his marketing arguments targeted at a person interested in making a woodworking bench. They are Intended not to discourage Marc from making money but to encourage conversation with that person that is torn between options.

• Like 1

I think I agree with all of you. Rather than creating what Marc thinks is a superior bench, he’s just trying to accommodate his follower’s requests by creating a bench that is more accessible to a larger audience. I think that I’ll still create mine in the original Roubo style, because, as @pkinneb said, I desire to build it more as a legacy piece, a big and heavy piece that I’ll use for the rest of my life and that my son may eventually put into a shop as a memory of the time we built together. I don’t desire mine to be particularly mobile, either on casters or knock-down, as I’m hopeful I’ll never have to move a shop again. I do like the incorporation of power as well as the channels with different holders. 

I created this thread more to get everyone’s thoughts on the new bench vs the old, than to get suggestions for my own build. I’ve appreciated all the feedback so far though.

In the not too distant future, I will be building what will probably be my final workbench. I have been thinking about this for a long time and my design is similar to what Marc came up with: a thick, heavy top on a trestle style base. I am going to use the Lie-Nielsen tail vice, but haven't decided what I want to use for the front vise. It will be 6 feet long and 24" wide. I am tending towards a solid top. Think Lie-Nielsen big workbench, but shorter, and that isn't too far from what Marc built.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2021 at 7:43 PM, wtnhighlander said:

@gee-dub, can you describe the composition of your bench top? And how durable it has been for you, especially the dog holes? I am formulating plans for my own "next bench", and considering alternatives.

+1

I built my bench in 2014, shortly after joining this forum. At the time I didn’t think I had the ability to build the Roubo and constructed a substantial base with drawers and skimped on the top, using 3 pieces of 3/4” HD ply and screwed a 1/8” hardboard to the top, for easy replacement. That was 7 years ago and I still see no need to replace it due to abuse. However, for the last few days, I have been chopping mortises and I find how un-solid my top is. Unfortunately I responded to someone on here how Idid it and wish I could retract it. Having said all of that, my next goal is to completely replace the top with a more substantial one. Am interested also on @gee-dub‘s composition material? 

• 1 month later...

What drew me to the new Roubo is the ability to break it down which facilitates moving into new homes over the years.  Marc now needs a new Guild Project where he teaches you how to put the original vice hardware on this new Roubo. He also needs a Guild Project that's 'All-About Joinery' but I understand why he doesn't. I just don't like his taste in furniture.

I'm curious about what Chestnut said about the original bench being built with knock down hardware. Is this mentioned during the build project videos and how 'knock down' is it? Marc wouldn't advertise this new bench on that basis if you could knock the original one down.

It is interesting that Marc will be using lesser bench hardware in his future videos. 

I do remember the discussion in the build videos. Marc is responsive to his audience. As a content creator, he had demands for things built with “lesser” (read less expensive) hardware. This is pure analysis without critique. I think his audience made it clear it was not enough to mention using other hardware in the build videos. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 6:17 PM, Tpt life said:

I do remember the discussion in the build videos. Marc is responsive to his audience. As a content creator, he had demands for things built with “lesser” (read less expensive) hardware. This is pure analysis without critique. I think his audience made it clear it was not enough to mention using other hardware in the build videos. 

It broadens his audience and they get to see it in action. Marc is a rock star. :)  

• Like 1

If you think about it, a Roubo bench is a thick top with legs mortised into it, using through mortises. 

The new bench Marc made is a thick top sitting on a trestle base. Same idea, more portable.

I am not sure what the name of the style would be, but it works