Looking for bandsaw suggestions

Meatwad

Budget? Power restrictions? Size/height restrictions?

Do you mean 1-2” is the thickness of the boards? How wide (how much resaw height do you need)?

Seems like most people are happy with 14-17” bandsaws for resawing, which often give 12-14” resaw height.

I’m not so sure about saving time and money by resawing though, you might want to double check your math. I’ve often seen 8/4 going for more than 2x the cost of 4/4. And I certainly don’t see how it would save time.

On 11/10/2021 at 5:51 PM, JohnG said:

Budget? Power restrictions? Size/height restrictions?

Do you mean 1-2” is the thickness of the boards? How wide (how much resaw height do you need)?

Seems like most people are happy with 14-17” bandsaws for resawing, which often give 12-14” resaw height.

I’m not so sure about saving time and money by resawing though, you might want to double check your math. I’ve often seen 8/4 going for more than 2x the cost of 4/4. And I certainly don’t see how it would save time.

Size and height would be my real restrictions but I don't have any hard limits. I just have a half a garage I work out of so I try to make everything I have be worth the space. For resawing size I'm ready to try making some nightstands that have 0.5 inch panels so I was thinking of buying 5/4 and resawing them.

On 11/10/2021 at 6:04 PM, Mark J said:

Add this question to the above, do you have a 240V circuit available near where you want to site the bandsaw?

No just standard 110 in my garage.

I have the Jet 14SFX is 120V and I think it offers a lot of capabilities and features.  It has a large table, two miter slots, a decent throat and big resaw capacity.  I have a 3/4" Resaw King on there now.  The only feature that I feel it's missing is a brake.  

Edit:  It has a tension release lever, too.

On 11/10/2021 at 7:54 PM, Robby W said:

I would take a hard look at the Laguna 12/14 bandsaw. The standard version is 110volt. Solidly built and I have heard good things about the ceramic guides.

This is a great bandsaw and one of two Laguna's I own (the other is a 16HD)

FWIW while I love the 14/12 I would go for the 14BX if you can swing the price difference just so I could have the blade break. It's an awesome safety feature and the other upgrades won't hurt either.

On 11/10/2021 at 5:54 PM, Robby W said:

I would take a hard look at the Laguna 12/14 bandsaw. The standard version is 110volt. Solidly built and I have heard good things about the ceramic guides.

I've owned this saw since 2015 and haven't had a single complaint.  I have the 120 volt version which has 1 3/4 hp motor with the wood slicer blade for re-sawing and have done pieces 8 or 9 inches wide with no problems.  Even though it is considered a 12 inch saw I think you can go to almost 13 inch re-saw capacity. 

• Like 1