Stabilizing the bandsaw and 1" blade

Scooby

Howdy,

So I pulled the trigger for the Harvey Ambassadr C-14 bandsaw and have a couple of questions. I am also new to woodworking and this is my first bandsaw.

• The bandsaw is almost 400lb, 71" height but the base is only 24" x 15-3/4". I'm afraid it will tip easily once I put it on a mobile base. I heard people say bandsaw is top-heavy but it doesn't make sense to me. I'm thinking of bolting the base to a wider foot, say 2 pieces 3/4" x 28" x 20" plywood glued together, before putting the saw on the mobile base. Do you think it will help to stabilize the saw?
  • They say the saw can accept 1" wide blade but I cannot find any 1" blade on the market except the crazy expensive 125" x 1" Resaw King from Laguna. For cutting the curve, I will buy the 125" x 1/4" 6tpi blade from Timber Wolf. What's your suggestion?

My bandsaw weighs 345 lbs and the motor is only 24 lbs of that(?).  The cast iron wheels, guide post assembly and heavy table are all above my waistline.  Despite all that mass above the half-height mark it is not tippy at all but I don't move it far. The base has steel wheels which make it pretty stable when sitting still but it is only designed to move enough to allow clearance or access.  A base designed for rolling across the shop on a regular basis would do better for more regular moving around if that is required.  I did bolt my bandsaw through a double layer of 3/4" plywood that is about an inch larger than the bandsaw's base in every direction and then on through into the mobile base (door clearance). 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your tips. I wonder if the Timber Wolf Bandsaw Blade and Sawblade.com are good brands.

I kind of understand the TPI but not very clear the difference between flex back vs hard back character of the saw blade. Is it true that flex back is preferred for cutting curve/plastic while the hardback is better for resaw?

Another agreement with Chestnut.  I run 3/4" Timberwolf blades as my general duty blades.  They wear out like most blades but I definitely get my $30 or $40 out of them.  When I run out I will probably not buy anything over a 1/2" going forward.  With the saw properly tuned up a 1/2" blade gives me 1/16" veneer any time I want it.  I keep a couple of 1/2" Wood slicers around for when I need a thin kerf cut.  My ReSaw King stays on the saw most of the time for . .. well . . . resaw ;-).  I don't see it offered in 1/2" anymore which tells you how long I've had it ;-)

• Like 1

I also use 1/2" wood slicers and they seem to perform just as well as the 3/4" resaw king i have if not better. I don't think my saw can tension the resaw king enough but can easily tension the wood slicer and that's the difference.

I use the wood slicer for veneer. I like the resaw king for day to day tasks, ripping, joinery, low risk resaw, etc. I run carbide blades because I'd go through too many $35 blades and they'd get expensive fast. It only took me 18 months to dull my RK. In the past i was dulling standard blades in 3-4 months. I figure the resaw king will be at break even at it's first sharpening and save me money from there out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sounds like most of you are recommending 1/2" blades and the Wood Slicer from Highland as your go-to everyday use blade. Am I understanding this correctly? If I can get away with a $45 blade to do most of my tasks rather than spending $180 on a RSK, I may go that direction. Planning to buy my first BS in the near future and trying to understand what the blades I'd need to purchase would be. Seems like every tool is something new to learn.

• Like 1