Two-dimension design tool for floor plans

tom850i

18 years ago, I designed my shop using a (free, I think) software tool that only worked in two dimensions.  I need to design another shop and cannot find a two-dimension design tool.  I don't like the complex three-dimension tools such as Sketchup.  Does anybody know about such a tool?

Here is an example of the drawing I did in 2004.

shop 2.pdf

On 2/27/2022 at 5:27 PM, JohnG said:

There are several free cad programs. FreeCad is one of them. Autodesk AutoCad is the industry standard, but isn’t cheap.

Sketchup and Fusion360 (both have free versions) can be used for 2d drawings, 3d is not required.

I've used Sketchup a few times.  How do you make it 2d only?

+1.   Just draw in the XY plane.  It does leave open the option of making a 3D rendering of the shop space should you want to later.  If you're looking for some instruction on Sketchup, Bob Lang wrote an excellent ebook.

There's more discussion of drawing programs in the Digital Design sub-forum.

BUT, if you want to keep the task low tech you could just get some graph paper and scissors.  Draw the outline of your shop space, and cut out little rectangles to represent your tools and benches.  Place and move your equipment as needed.  Tip, if you cut the rectangles out of Post-It Notes they're easier to keep in place.  

• Like 1

LibreOffice (MS Office Replacement) has a Visio-like component called "Draw".  If you have Visio experience it is a breeze.  If you don't the learning curve is very short for simple things like you describe.  I used LibreOffice when I was working for my 'ux' machines to move seamlessly between the Windows and the Mac/ux worlds.  When I retired leaving Office behind was no big deal.  I don't know that you can install the Draw package stand alone like Visio used to be but, the whole LibreOffice applications is not really impactive to a semi-modern PC.

turd1.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/28/2022 at 9:04 AM, Mark J said:

+1.   Just draw in the XY plane.  It does leave open the option of making a 3D rendering of the shop space should you want to later.  If you're looking for some instruction on Sketchup, Bob Lang wrote an excellent ebook.

There's more discussion of drawing programs in the Digital Design sub-forum.

BUT, if you want to keep the task low tech you could just get some graph paper and scissors.  Draw the outline of your shop space, and cut out little rectangles to represent your tools and benches.  Place and move your equipment as needed.  Tip, if you cut the rectangles out of Post-It Notes they're easier to keep in place.  

I've used Sketchup and find it quite difficult to make a 2d drawing.  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 8:59 AM, Wimayo said:

Has anyone here ever used pencil, paper, with T-square and triangle?

I do that all 95% of the time.  My new shop has not yet been designed or sized, so CAD would help with design experimentation.  I have some options for total sizing and would like to play with ideas.  

• Like 1