Router Storage

Coop

Probably not as common as router bit, drill bit or sandpaper storage but, I am getting router poor. Anyone have pics of their router storage ? For Christmas, my son gave me a neat mobile work table made by Husky that has ample room below the top and drawers but not sure how to utilize the space. 

I’m only talking about 5 or so routers, including a palm router and not including my router table router and don’t use one bit more than another to justify leaving the bit in. Flat, no side pull out drawers would be a good idea! Cord storage could be an issue as well as base storage. Collets and tools could go in a separate drawer? 

• Like 1

I just found a shelf and put them there and under the bench. 

Here is a problem I've found. My shop is acclimated, but once in awhile I open the door to do other things. This allows moisture in. I've found that dust on the router plus humidity sticks the dust. Pain to get off after awhile..

If you don't have many a drawer is good...

Just doing repairs on these two routers, I couldn't believe the muck stuck to them. Difficult to get everything clean.. I think I've had these almost 20 years..

download (24).jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 10:05 PM, wtnhighlander said:

@Coop, a roll of velcro tape is really handy for cord wrangling. Attach a strip about 7" long ahead of the plug, and use it to strap the cord in place when you coil it up for storage.

I'm having to watch how I wrap the cords. After years of sitting they are starting to hold memory. I'm finally having to wrap them around the router...

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 7:52 PM, Coop said:

Probably not as common as router bit, drill bit or sandpaper storage but, I am getting router poor. Anyone have pics of their router storage ? For Christmas, my son gave me a neat mobile work table made by Husky that has ample room below the top and drawers but not sure how to utilize the space. 

Do you have a picture of the mobile work table?

I think it's funny. Norm Abram made the comment on The New Yankee Workshop that why change router bits, just change routers and got everyone thinking they need way more routers than they really need. You really only need 4 routers. 1-3+ hp. 1 combo with plunge base and one laminate router. If you buy another router for he plunge base this covers pretty much everything..

Lays  potatoes chops says you can't eat just one. Norm is trying to sell you the same thing..

On 3/5/2022 at 8:27 AM, BillyJack said:

Looks like you'll have to get creative. I would use the back half as you'll want the front for a toe kick space..

This is what I did.  There's usually a small compressor at one end of this one.

251580287_Table-Shelf(1).jpg.b42a33dcebdfb31aa28ee9bf99401c78.jpg

The other holds the veneering pump and some odds and ends.

1114589666_Table-Shelf(2).jpg.16af45d8826dfceb944d1e70332433f0.jpg

I needed more than toe-kick space as I have to straddle the planer outfeed table to act as an outfeed on the bandsaw at times.  That amount of space with a 3" lip around it would still hold a few routers.

• Like 2

I may have to do something with mine. I've noticed ignoring dovetail jigs, routers, etc are starting to show age. I buy a lot of used tools and they have already taken moisture and general tossing around by previous owners so I can't change their character...

Guess you don't realize how much you've accumulated, till you have to clean it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have drawer set up to hold my routers. There is hole centered under each router position so I can leave the bit in the router if I want to. I cut little pieces of scrap to make curbs to hold the bases in place during opening and closing the drawer.

The disadvantage to this plan is that when you change routers, you have to redo the curbs. Notice that the trim router is in an area originally sized for a the old Makita 3hp plunge router that I gave to an aspiring woodworker. I have found that my Milwaukee 2 hp with solid and plunge bases handle most everything that my router table doesn't. I want to add a compact DeWalt with both bases and I should be good to go. 

My router table takes care of everything else and it's 3hp Milwaukee motor lives in the lift.

• Like 1

If it is a quality router, I wouldn't worry about it. I have stored my routers in the down position for years and they still work fine. The one I gave away had springs that worked a little too well - it was a bit hard to push down.

• Like 1

Short anwer is yes they'll loose some strength but not enough to be noticeable. Long answer is complicated and boring.

Do you remove the weight of your car off the springs when it's in storage? I'd guess that the springs in the compressed position would take more time to deform than the router would last. I don't know that I'd worry about it.

• Like 2