Windows 11?

Mark J

What are your opinions about installing Windows 11?  It looks like I am going to be forced to do it as each or our three computers is periodically "taken over" by a solicitation from Microsoft to "upgrade" which I can postpone, but not refuse.   11 doesn't seem to have anything to offer that I think is an improvement.  Anyone with any opinions?  

I wouldn’t say 11 is better than 10, but I also wouldn’t say it is worse. Certainly not like the 7 > 8 transition. 

Seems to be pretty good compatibility-wise. Haven’t had any issues with my personal or business software. 

I don’t do a whole lot of “fiddling” with my computers anymore, so as long as I can complete the tasks I get on the computer to do, I don’t really care whether the corners of my windows are square or rounded. 

We aren’t pushing the update to our company machines yet either, just for convenience though. Our testing hasn’t shown any issues, but it’s just a pain to schedule and manage all the updates. You’re bound to have some percentage that run into issues during the update. And we have far fewer than 400k employees :)

I've been using it on a new laptop for a while. The only major headache is there is a program store and if you want to use the windows 11 version of that program you have to install it from the store. It'd be ok if it worked but the few times I've tried using that feature it didn't work. Luckily any old installer that worked on 10 works on 11 so you can just download and install the software regularly.

My other major gripe is they changed the right click menu in file explorer. Now instead of text clearly stating what things are they are icons that don't make sense to me. There is scissors i suppose that was is easy but i hardly ever cut things, then blue rectangle? Old school credit card imprinter machine from the 70s? and blue arrow?

On the good side it's stable ish and seems to run efficiently and quickly. I'd just do it and get it over with. They are going to push you there eventually might as well accept it.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 10:04 PM, JohnG said:

I don’t do a whole lot of “fiddling” with my computers anymore, so as long as I can complete the tasks I get on the computer to do, I don’t really care whether the corners of my windows are square or rounded. 

I had to look and see what version of Windows my work computer was on. Home computer is a Mac and I think it just upgraded but I really don't know. I used to care and pay a lot of attention but now as long as it works I've got better things to do.

I only left Windows XP, kicking and screaming, a year or so ago when my hard drive died (so there literal was kicking and screaming).  Then had to spend a significant amount of my valuable time figuring out how to get rid of "the tiles" and correct other "improvements".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I did the Win 11 upgrade on my laptop about ten days ago.  While MS managed to make the change without much disruption, I can't say it's added any value in my life.  It's change for the sake of change.  I really dislike the new taskbar and start menu.

• Like 2

The are some changes in the user interface, but the biggest changes are under the hood with improved security features. I made the change when I got a new laptop and, other than some cussing and a scowling while I got things set up to my satisfaction, I can't say anything really bad about it.

12 hours ago, Mark J said:

I wasn't able to find it when I looked.  Any clues you can offer?

https://www.theverge.com/22684671/windows-11-microsoft-start-menu-how-to

The new start menu is worthless the Win xp & win 7 menus were ok and were usable but the new one doesn't really offer me anything. IMO they should get rid of it and just have a search bar in its place.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 6:44 AM, Chestnut said:

IMO they should get rid of it and just have a search bar in its place.

That wouldn't work for me; I've never used the search bar and I keep it hidden. 

I've had Win 11 Pro for about three weeks since having to upgrade my desktop computer after the old one died a month ago (running Win 10 Pro) and 11 seems to be very stable and very responsive.  There are a few things that I've had to make adjustments for in my routine of normal activity but these are simple things to accomplish.

3 minutes ago, difalkner said:

That wouldn't work for me; I've never used the search bar and I keep it hidden.

Meant the search bar in the start menu. I hit the windows key type the program name and hit enter. That is if I don't have the program pinned or a desktop item.

4 minutes ago, difalkner said:

11 seems to be very stable and very responsive.

It's kind of sad that this statement needs to be made in the computer world. Every product that hits the market should be stable and responsive. I'm looking at you windows 8.

Thanks for the clue, I moved the Start Button to the left.  Now if I could only get the individual files to appear as tabs on the taskbar instead of having to hover over an obscure icon then have to select from pop up thumbnails.  

On 6/6/2022 at 2:31 PM, Mark J said:

Thanks for the clue, I moved the Start Button to the left.  Now if I could only get the individual files to appear as tabs on the taskbar instead of having to hover over an obscure icon then have to select from pop up thumbnails.  

Find the app in your start menu, right click and choose 'Pin to taskbar'.  In some cases you'll have to choose 'More' and then 'Pin to taskbar'.

13 minutes ago, difalkner said:

Find the app in your start menu, right click and choose 'Pin to taskbar'.  In some cases you'll have to choose 'More' and then 'Pin to taskbar'.

Thanks.  What I would like to do is have all open documents displayed directly on the taskbar (like in Win XP & 7), rather than have to hover over an icon to find them.  

11 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Meant the search bar in the start menu. I hit the windows key type the program name and hit enter. That is if I don't have the program pinned or a desktop item.

That works, IF you have a clue what the program is called. Micrisoft is great about relabeling programs from release to release, too.

As long as the cli is available, I'll get by.