Windows 11?

Mark J

I use the search bar to type in program names, too. The only Microsoft applications I use are the office apps, so no issue with name changing, and the rest are 3rd party software.

I do the same on my phone, no cluttered home screens, just the few apps I use the most. The rest are in a folder so I don’t have to see them or be tempted to waste time. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 11:20 PM, wtnhighlander said:

@JohnG, I tried organizing my app drawer into folders (Android 11 on a Motorola G Stylus), but updates always seem to remove the folders. Seen any way around that? Home screen is unaffected.

I use Nova Launcher on my Samsung tablet and it lets you create folders on the app drawer. they call 'em "drawer groups".

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 1:37 PM, Mark J said:

Thanks.  What I would like to do is have all open documents displayed directly on the taskbar (like in Win XP & 7), rather than have to hover over an icon to find them.  

So far I have not be able to find a solution for this one. The setting in windows 7 & 10 was to never combine but that has since been removed.

• Sad 1

• 7 months later...
On 6/5/2022 at 10:32 AM, Chestnut said:

This seems to sum up most new technology relating to computers. I wish they'd stop.

Seems I've been saying this since MS-DOS 2.0 :D.  The line continues to blur between what is a computer and what is a consumer electronic device.  Sure, "ux" distributions require more human intervention to dial them in for what you want to do but, once there, you have near zero effort in continuing to use them. 

Your computer is a tool.  Consider what you need one for and get/use the combination that makes sense for you.  90% of the US can go into a Costco, buy a consumer grade computer-shaped-object and just use it and that's great.  For those who want something specific, we generally know how to go about setting that up. For those caught in between . . . it can be a struggle. :( It's not a contest.  We just want the thing to work . :)

• Like 1

I just updated my 'home' computer to W11.  So far so good - almost unnoticeable differences from W10.  It was a system I built so I had some trepidation, but it went very smoothly.  I'm glad there are no obvious functional differences, and it gets me on a release that will be supported long after W10 support ends.

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2022 at 8:50 AM, Chestnut said:

The only major headache is there is a program store and if you want to use the windows 11 version of that program you have to install it from the store.

You can change this.  This is all for 'security', which - as Robby said above - was a big focus of Win11.

1. On your computer, click the Start menu.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select Apps.
  4. Select Apps and Features.
  5. Under the first heading, "Choose where to get apps" or "Installing Apps", click the drop-down box.
  6. Select Anywhere or Allow apps from anywhere.

I upgraded my personal desktop from Win10 to Win11 about 2 months ago, mostly because I knew I would have to eventually.  A few minor things to get accustomed to with the interface, but overall pretty good.  I agree that they should stop tweaking the UI - this move to incomprehensible icons is maddening. 

I also do not like that the taskbar is centered, so thank you @Chestnut for that tip.  My Start button and icons are now in the corner, where they belong :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jfitz said:

I upgraded my personal desktop from Win10 to Win11 about 2 months ago, mostly because I knew I would have to eventually.  A few minor things to get accustomed to with the interface, but overall pretty good.  I agree that they should stop tweaking the UI - this move to incomprehensible icons is maddening. 

I also do not like that the taskbar is centered, so thank you @Chestnut for that tip.  My Start button and icons are now in the corner, where they belong :)

There is a regedit to revert the right click menu back to a proper one that doesn't contain incomprehensible icons. It was pretty easy to do. I still haven't found a way to not combine task bar items.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2023 at 9:41 AM, Mark J said:

How does one get to yhe regedit?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-old-right-click-context-menu-in-windows-11/a62e797c-eaf3-411b-aeec-e460e6e5a82a

Restore the old Context Menu in Windows 11

1. Right-click the Start button and choose Windows Terminal.

2. Copy the command from below, paste it into Windows Terminal Window, and press enter.

1. reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve

3. Restart File Explorer or your computer for the changes to take effect.

4. You would see the Legacy Right Click Context menu by default.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark J said:

How does one get to yhe regedit?

Window+R opens the run window and type in "regedit"

To get the classic right clik menu Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID

Right-click > New > Key, and paste in this name: {86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}

With the new key you just created highlighted, again right-click > New > Key, and paste in this name: InprocServer32

gL69VK3x4TvKAqbwgSFmQf-970-80.thumb.jpg.6cd4d2383fcbf5065835c7850f20e7c2.jpg

After you get this done restrart your computer.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 9:35 AM, BonPacific said:

The person who invents a computer than can do what the user wants rather than what the user tells the computer to do will be a very rich person indeed.

and my Wife will be very happy that a computer finally understands her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...

In my opinion, it's essential to consider your specific needs and whether Windows 11 addresses them better than your current version. Sometimes, sticking with what you know and what works for you is a valid choice. However, keep in mind that software updates often come with security enhancements and bug fixes, which can be essential for keeping your computer safe and running smoothly. If you decide to go ahead with the upgrade, make sure to back up your important data, just in case. And if you need a legitimate Windows key, you can check out https://digitalchillmart.com/product/windows-11-pro-32-64-bit/, which seems to offer reliable keys.

• Like 2

I bought my wife a new laptop with Win 11 on it and I hate it.

Right now I am trying to fix a problem that happened when she installed the latest update.  Everything disappeared on the task bar and I have tried several things to fix it that were recommended by research.  Right now I am doing a whole recovery process and it's reinstalling.  This only after a week of owning it.  Having one heck of a time logging into her microsoft account too.  She can't remember her password and continually has to get a single use code e-mailed to her.  

1 hour ago, Jim DaddyO said:

I bought my wife a new laptop with Win 11 on it and I hate it.

Right now I am trying to fix a problem that happened when she installed the latest update.  Everything disappeared on the task bar and I have tried several things to fix it that were recommended by research.  Right now I am doing a whole recovery process and it's reinstalling.  This only after a week of owning it.  Having one heck of a time logging into her microsoft account too.  She can't remember her password and continually has to get a single use code e-mailed to her.  

There is a way to use the computer without a Microsoft account but it takes a bit of a hack. When you set up windows and it asks for an account you have to spoof it with a fake email like no@tankyou.com and than type in any password and it'll just skip the account. 11 pro has a workaround for domain controllers were you just select "I'm on a domain" and it goes around the account as well.