Mahogany Drum Table

joe mendel

On 10/6/2022 at 10:58 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Beautiful work, Joe, as usual!

I try to learn by asking questions about any project posted here, but you left little to ask. Were there any tricks you have to share about the brass work?

The brass toe caps were cut from a sheet of flat stock of red brass which I cut on the bandsaw and then folded the sides and front down.  Since red brass is mostly copper, it solders easily with a hand held oxyacetylene torch.  The joints were treated with flux, and with a oxygen rich mix of the flame made very nice joints which needed no welding filler.  I had to smooth the edge a bit with some Emory cloth, take them to the buffing wheel, dress them up, and sprayed then with clear lacquer.  Ta-da !!!!

• Thanks 1

Really nice work as always, @joe mendel .  Worth the price for sure, but I think that the picture books you include are a nice touch. 

Do you take selfies, use a timer, or do you have an assistant available who can snap a few pictures as you go along.   I try to photograph all my big projects as I go along, for the simple reason that 3 months after I'm done I can't remember how I did the thing.  But I end up taking pictures with my left hand so that I can hold the tool in place with my right hand, and that's the only part of me that ever gets in the picture.  

• Thanks 1