Track Saws

Mark J

The High School is breaking down sheet good on a table saw.  While they do have enough people in the room to help, it's still cumbersome.  The teacher and I took a look into panel saws and were a little surprised that these were going for like $1800.  We do have the floor space to go the track saw (with "pink board") route.  But this raises the question of what brand to go with.  Back when I got mine (used), Festool was the only game in town, and I'm guessing that most of the regulars here have Festool, as well.  But now there are a lot of players in this field.  Have you seen any reviews or do you have any first or second hand experience that would lend you to recommend a different brand?  

Well that's the curious thing.  They seem to have money to spend, particularly if it is a safety issue.  The instructor and I looked at panel saws and were shocked that they were $1800 and up, but we didn't get a firm no on that from anyone.  I just want to investigate track saw's as a more cost effective option and one that the students are more likely to have/use later in life.  So for the time being let's focus on the good, better and best performing track saw systems (the saw is only as good as the track).

On 11/8/2022 at 5:06 PM, Mark J said:

The High School is breaking down sheet good on a table saw

I solved the problem of crosscuts on 4 x 8's. Incra 5000. Rips are not an issue. The incra is very accurate to square and repeatable. I have crosscut 23.5 wide.  If I had an 8' rip to crosscut I would break it down to cut on the incra. And it is the least costly solution. My guess is that it is more accurate than a panel saw.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2022 at 6:32 AM, curlyoak said:

I solved the problem of crosscuts on 4 x 8's. Incra 5000. Rips are not an issue. The incra is very accurate to square and repeatable. I have crosscut 23.5 wide.  If I had an 8' rip to crosscut I would break it down to cut on the incra. And it is the least costly solution. My guess is that it is more accurate than a panel saw.

Aren’t you still using the table saw?

After reading a ton of reviews, I went with the cordless Makita. I work with only rough sawn lumber that I cut myself, and take to a sawmill. So, it comes in very handy for straightening crooked edges. And I seem to be using it more and more for misc. cutting.  So far, I've had no problems with it, and it has all kinds of power. I like it.

• Thanks 1

I too have the Festool because at the time that was to option other then the real pricey Mafell.  If I was researching now I would look at the Makita and Triton.  I have read pretty decent reviews on both.  I think one of the areas that the Festool shines is the quality of the finished cut.  If you plan is to break down with the track saw and do the final finish cuts with the table saw, I think either one of the others would do you fine.

• Thanks 1

Depends on if you are using the saw with a VAC or with out. The battery powered festools are good and DC is good despite it just being bag collection. If using cord and vac I really like the festool system for auto on etc.

I don't know much about panel saws to saw yay or nay. I'm not sure how well the do with angled cuts? It's nice to bee able to slap the track saw guide down on 2 marks and make a cut and never have to think about what angle it is etc.

On 11/14/2022 at 11:26 AM, Chestnut said:

Depends on if you are using the saw with a VAC or with out. The battery powered festools are good and DC is good despite it just being bag collection. If using cord and vac I really like the festool system for auto on etc.

I don't know much about panel saws to saw yay or nay. I'm not sure how well the do with angled cuts? It's nice to bee able to slap the track saw guide down on 2 marks and make a cut and never have to think about what angle it is etc.

Only thing I see here is breaking down sheet goods.  Safer as well with a panel saw..

• 1 month later...

I've seen at least one other similar product--name escapes me.  Still, options are good.

As for the highschool, this is something that will have to go through the budget process :(.  But the more I think about it, the best solution might be to add a slider table to one of the SawStops.

On 12/21/2022 at 6:16 AM, Mark J said:

But the more I think about it, the best solution might be to add a slider table to one of the SawStops.

This might be easier to get through the budget process because it would be come part of a tool that has the added safety feature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1