Shavehorse Build

pkinneb

On 5/17/2023 at 8:15 AM, Mark J said:

How do you like that compass?   Does it hold a setting well?  Does the point "stick" where you put it?

Definitely better then my old dimestore one my only real complaint would be its kind of bulky.

On 5/17/2023 at 11:35 AM, Chet said:

Nice start.  I have always thought that this would be a fun project but I personally don't have a use for it when finished, sooo...

Thanks! Definitely plan on a couple more rockers and possibly a set of kitchen chairs but we shall see. So many projects so little time :)

This looks like an interesting build. I like the ash you choose, such a pretty wood and hopefully it doesn't disappear.

On 5/17/2023 at 8:15 AM, Mark J said:

How do you like that compass?   Does it hold a setting well?  Does the point "stick" where you put it?

I have one as well. It holds ok but still leaves me wishing there was a better option.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tonight more work on the stage. First cut the stage center to size m, then the sides.

SH41.thumb.JPG.503e166489e51cabfa30fbdafb4d4cb8.JPG

SH42.thumb.JPG.1b8d664bfb412152385e4b405bf52415.JPG

SH43.thumb.JPG.7dc4c2815d0d1c3fbb9718b6ec773d82.JPG

I have a couple questions for the group. First how would you cut the hole for the wedge? its 1" square, thought I would just drill it out then square it up with a chisel any other thoughts?

SH44.thumb.JPG.d1ac4a84403f2e66d3c50df099fca7c0.JPG

Second for the 45 degree bevels in the top just cut them on the table saw? Thanks!

SH45.thumb.JPG.978cc66330d4efd632a9e4afda75a530.JPG

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 7:45 AM, Immortan D said:

For the v-grooves you could use a core box router bit, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/60°-V-Groove-Router-Bit-Yonico/dp/B07W72WM52?th=1

Thanks! I like this I think it will give me a cleaner cut and I have a bit :)

On 7/6/2023 at 7:57 AM, Mark J said:

Do the "V" grooves have a function, or are the decorative? 

Yes. As you take the spindles from rough to square, then to octagon, and finally round you use the grooves to hold the spindles tight.

• Like 1

Man that ash looks pretty. It's too bad that there isn't a better avenue to turn ash trees into lumber. With EBA killing a good portion of the ash in the US it created a good opportunity for lumber, it's just too bad the logistics of getting lumber from trees is so labor intensive and difficult.

• Thanks 1

I really want to try out a shaper to see what they are like. I feel like for the little bit of CNC work I'd want to do they are perfect, but by no means inexpensive.

Also the bolt cutting trick is great. I never learned that for the longest time and getting the nuts back on was always a PITA.

• pkinneb changed the title to Shavehorse Build