Guest Room Bedside Tables

gee-dub

On 10/26/2023 at 3:49 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Handy tips, @gee-dub. Don't you normally cut any joinery on the legs before tapering or shaping them? Not doing that here makes me wonder what interesting design you came up with!

Normally yes.  I find it to be a good idea to mill joinery while the blank is big and square.  This is especially true for curved parts :).  Since I have been spoiled with the Domino table I factor that into my process.  The upper 4" of these legs remain square and that is enough to register on the table for mortising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like working with darker woods and will often hold a small flashlight in my mouth to see the line that I have drawn, even after highlighting it with a white pencil. I wish that Festool had put a small light directed over their line on the base plate. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 12:28 AM, gee-dub said:

GRST(3).thumb.jpg.86584461a0d93f87bcf0dd693a6bf49f.jpg

On 10/26/2023 at 12:28 AM, gee-dub said:

GRST(6).thumb.jpg.a61f245221fc99255597714971812178.jpg

Just curious, what's your preferred method for getting the first reference face from the rough stock in the first pic to the 2nd pic? When you want a square leg stock that's not aligned with the rough stock board. Adjust fence angle of jointer? Tilt TS blade? Hand plane? Band saw? Something else?

Looks like these are coming along well! My wife read that goats can be trained to an invisible fence system, now we are considering getting some to eat down the poison ivy and other weeds in the woods...

On 10/29/2023 at 10:23 AM, JohnG said:

Just curious, what's your preferred method for getting the first reference face from the rough stock in the first pic to the 2nd pic?

I did these at the jointer.  I set the angle via one edge of the drawn square, joint close to that line, joint another face perpendicular to that surface, then use the planer to make the opposite sides parallel.  That is my go-to for blanks up to about 40".  Larger or longer blanks get the table tilted at the bandsaw.  Then I joint that bandsawn surface to create my reference face.  My jointer has long tables but setting an original angled reference on a long blank is just easier for me at the bandsaw.

Just a note to any new folks . . . if you only use your jointer for face and edge work you're not getting your money's worth ;).

• Like 1

That glue tip looks like a neat idea but I bet it’s still made from the same plastic as the original? Rockler makes a glue brush with rubber tits that glue won’t stick to. I wish TiteBond would make their tips out of similar materials. Sometimes (often) I fail to clean the ends of my tips. I know, sounds like a personal problem! 
So the edges are not the result of using a chamfer bit. I like the results.