Woodworking Class Etiquette

wouldwurker

The "majority" of the population, tend to fit in that group!  Then there's the rest of us, that have to deal around that [without violence]!  After 32 years driving a tractor trailer cross country, I came to the conclusion that a minimum of 70% of the population, should never have been given a license to drive!  And now those same people are taking woodworking classes.   Scary!

• Like 1

The world is full of people doing stupid stuff like that everywhere, not just in classes ! I have mentioned that I am on a tight budget and really want to learn what the instructor has to say, instead of wasting the class time on your tangent. He was pissed but got glares from everyone else the next time he tried to butt in.

• Like 1

This post reminds me a lot of when I decided to go back to school and took night classes.  

Your "pen turner" was a "cell phone salesperson" in my class.  Every. Single. Thing. came back to being about selling cell phones. 

In a nutshell, the world is completely filled with jerks.  Not that I'm excluding myself from that group.

• Like 1

i took a motorcycle riding class few years back.  had a bunch of riders who had been riding for years but no license so they were taking the class to go legit.  kept trying to spread their bad habits and the class moves from never being on a bike and learning how to push to learning how to ride safely.  very disruptive those folks 

This makes me want to avoid any class I thought I wanted to pay for. I would have lost my $h!t if any of these happened to me in a similar situation. I am not a nice guy when my time or money is being wasted. Other than that, I am a pleasure to deal with ;)

I'm ready to throw something now. 

The best "soft skill" pieces of advice I ever received were:

1) Even if you are the smartest guy in the room, don't act like the smartest guy in the room, because no one likes an a-hole

2) Don't talk when you should be listening

+1 on this. Guaranteed to make me lose it is when you are trying to explain a problem to someone and they are just not listening.

I've got to admire your self-control VJ. With my hard earned money being poured down the drain by moronic gits like those I would most definitely lost it big style.

True story - about 8 years ago, I told a lady on a greyhound bus from Philly to NYC that if she didn't get off her phone I'd throw it out the window (In a lighthearted fashion).

She called 911 from the bus, and the port authority pulled the bus over after we exited the tunnel.

Cop gets on the bus.

Driver gets off the bus.

Crazy lady gets off the bus.

Crazy lady gets back on the bus with cop, points to me and says 'IT WAS HIM'.

(Try to imagine, through a fish eye lens, a wave of heads in each seat from front to back, all turning 180 degrees towards me in sequence)

I turned my head too....only to find every one looking forward.

I get off the bus....

The cop agreed she was nuts and asked if I could sit in the front for the remaining 5 minutes of the trip.

My wife, of course was none too happy.

Of all the vagrants, teardrop tattooed ex cons, gang bangers, vagabonds, and serial killers that 'Go Greyhound'....and I'm the guy that gets the bus pulled over.

Long story short, I try to keep my cool these days. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, but you may have been the start of a trend! I took a commuter bus from Boston to Cape Cod a couple of years ago. NO cell phones were permitted except for emergencies. It was wonderful! So, thank-you. :)

I teach classes myself:  these are all good points to be considerate of.

Among other techniques, I like to disarm those who might feel like they know more that me by saying, "You have experience with this, what would you do in this situation?"  Polling the experience of the crowd can enrich the experience for everyone.  Unless, of course, they are an a-hole.  ;)

miw

I was having dinner at a very nice restaurant and our large group was sharing a banquet room with a Japanese group. One guy kept jumping up and constantly taking flash pictures which were blinding me. I tried waving my arm, covering my eyes and even growling at him. Finally had enough and walked over and whispered in his ear that one more flash in my direction would lead to his camera inserted in an uncomfortable place. Shocked look on his face but he sat down and the next picture was no flash!

Everyone in our group was amazed I had the balls to do it , but they appreciated the results .

The best "soft skill" pieces of advice I ever received were:

1) Even if you are the smartest guy in the room, don't act like the smartest guy in the room, because no one likes an a-hole

It is good to be the smartest person in the room, especially if you are the  only one who knows it.

Rog

A good instructor should have total control of the class and set the ground rules at the start. No cell phones, vibrate if you must have it on, take the call outside or call the person back, etc. One great instructor I had started out saying that there are many ways to do things (this was a turning class) but that he is demonstrating his way, what works for him and that we should try it and after giving it a good go then decide for ourselves. Instructors should welcome questions but also know when to not answer them with the whole class, e.g. suggest talking the the person during a break about xyz. The instructor also knows how much material there is to cover and can answer a question saying that he/she wants to stay on schedule and that he needs to move on. THAT is a great answer so that everyone in the class knows the instructor is on-it and there will be enough time to cover everything planned so they will be getting their money's worth.

As far as the whistling jack-ass, hard to deal with that. Maybe mention to the instructor that it is bothering you so that he/she can deal with it and you won't get into an altercation. If it was someone right next to me who I had already conversed with I might say, do you know you are whistling? Hopefully he would respond by asking if it is bothering me, but you never know. And the color-blind and apple/orange peeling guys, those are just a funny story.

So most of the stuff could have been and should have been controlled by the instructor. The other stuff, kids running around, people coming in who were not in the class, should have been controlled by the facility with sign on the door as you suggested. I can not believe there was not a general policy of no kids in the room, there had to be, so that needed to be enforced. You should mention those problems to the store so they can fix them, otherwise I doubt you or anyone you talk to will be taking another class there.