Shop construction progress

elrodk

Truss (component)indicates an engineered system of pieces designed for superior stiffness in one axis. While I-Joist is a trade description and name, truss is not technically inaccurate. Joist, without the "I" is a usage. (Think stud vs 2x4) I-joists are often used as rafters. :-) Having said that, those members that can potentially be called trusses, are functioning as joists.

• Like 1

Dave is right. Joists would be politically correct but then you guys wouldn't have anything to quibble about.

We got about 2 inches of rain and all that loose dirt and backfill is now a mud bog. Work continues. I'll post an update at the end of the week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It has been two weeks since my last update. All the framing is complete and the electrical and plumbing rough in is being installed. My HVAC is roughed in now. The 4x8 windows should be delivered and installed this week and the shingles start going on once the plumber has the vent stack out the roof.

fcf0686bea25c6bae029dc6270a88594.jpg

38c021c367c8952e2de4fa406d8a9c0a.jpg

055fbf534ac884ad17260d9a00a5f2ca.jpg

2254672f5cf3a1c17506432eca336ffa.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Your GC isn't wasting any time! Looking great.

Will your porch overhang have any support?

Yes for sure. We haven't made the final decision but the idea is to either pour a small slab or put some paver stones up to the door. The posts would be 6x6 pressure treated pine. We just have to get the hard surface in before the posts.

So my electrician says you are putting in a lot of outlets. I said so? There's no such thing as too many outlets. (or clamps) The outlets are no more than 4 ft apart and a couple of corners have one on each wall.

Then he says 50 inches is too high for the outlets. (They are 50" to the bottom of the box.) When you go to sell this people won't like it. I told him that I'm not really concerned about how much my wife gets for it once I'm gone. I might really be concerned if I thought it would hurt in the long run. But there is no difference in 36 inches and 50 inches except my outlets won't be covered by sheet goods leaning on the wall. He says yeah that's a good idea.

He is really a good guy. Just wants to point out options. I think he gets it now. He will have some ideas to suggest to the homeowner the next time he wires a shop.

Looking awesome you're sure making better progress than I am on mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah but you are doing your work. I'm about to hit that point when I take over and it will slow down. But then I'll be able to go out and tinker with whatever I feel like doing today. Maybe trim out a window or build some shop furniture...
  • Like 1

So my electrician says you are putting in a lot of outlets. I said so? There's no such thing as too many outlets. (or clamps) The outlets are no more than 4 ft apart and a couple of corners have one on each wall.

Then he says 50 inches is too high for the outlets. (They are 50" to the bottom of the box.) When you go to sell this people won't like it. I told him that I'm not really concerned about how much my wife gets for it once I'm gone. I might really be concerned if I thought it would hurt in the long run. But there is no difference in 36 inches and 50 inches except my outlets won't be covered by sheet goods leaning on the wall. He says yeah that's a good idea.

He is really a good guy. Just wants to point out options. I think he gets it now. He will have some ideas to suggest to the homeowner the next time he wires a shop.

This was good thinking on your part. I wish I would have raised my outlets just a bit. I have a sheet of ply leaning on one now. It also allows you to use the wall space for other things. I found it hard to find a spot for my panel clamp to fit between two outlet boxes. Had I put them a tad higher it would be a non issue.

Your building is looking fantastic and fun to watch go up. Looks like your framers did a great job. Keep them pics coming!

Great shop! What's the plan for the basement.

Originally there was no basement and it sort of happened while laying out the site. My GC presented me with the option of backfilling and pouring a slab or having a crawl space and raised wooden floor. Once I realized 2/3 of the building would be more than 6 feet off the ground I asked him how much more to go ahead and dig it all out. It really came down to paying for both the slab and the wood floor system. I decided it was worth that to double my space.

So now the dust collector room will be down there along with lumber, garden tools, clutter from the garage, etc. I may use it differently at some point. I've always wanted to try brewing beer and I have model trains that need some space.

• 3 weeks later...

Three weeks since an update. Things slowed down for a while but we are cooking with gas now. The electrical and plumbing rough ins are complete and the insulation is installed. Got R20 in the walls and R30 in the ceiling. Windows are all in and the drywall comes tomorrow. Front door is ready to install once the drywall is unloaded.

64f8bf35fdc4ff811862ddb2f08407cb.jpg

980e6a5b1dbc45a6ea59285d0716720e.jpg

65f66702b72919a25cb9367860053832.jpg

Here's the door before the insulation was blown in.

bcd9280b6fa41ab75fced8f67f953497.jpg

• Like 1