walnut or cherry?

rodger.

About to embark on a new build (bedroom table), and I'm costing out lumber.  I want walnut, but the price is ridiculous.  It will literally cost me twice as much as 90/50 cherry.  I love cherry, and have been building a lot with it, but its certainly not as nice as walnut.  90/50 cherry goes for $4.83 BF (4/4) and $5.89 BF (8/4).  Walnut it $8.99 BF(4/4) and $10.99 BF (8/4).

Just kinda thinking out loud here.  Any comments or opinions?

The room is in a new house, so no existing furniture to match.   Trim work is solid wood, but painted out white, so it will go with everything.

If I'm building for me, I build out of the material I want it to be.  Yes, sometimes it's more expensive but, I never want to walk into my house, look at a project I spent 70 or 80 hours building, and say "I wish I would have built it out of X".

I agree, built it out of whatever you want and don't skimp on cost.  However I do like to build with a variety of species. I love walnut but wouldnt want an entire house full of walnut furniture.   

1 hour ago, Aj3 said:

Im thinking Walnut too have you priced it in the rough.I might be the minority here but i always start with rough lumber its saves money and is fun to mill and get the first look.B)

Yes, I always buy rough lumber.

Thanks for the advice fellas,  the difference will be about 300 all said and done (as long as the walnut available is good).

Another friend suggested maple, as the wall colour in the room suits it well.  Maple should be about the same price as cherry.

Still thinking walnut, though :)

1 hour ago, BobInAustin said:

End of discussion.  You'll never look at that cherry table and say "Look how awesome that money I saved is."

Lol.  I have found myself saying those exact words to myself about other things...not sure if I would about furniture I built though, so you're probably correct in this context.

go with the walnut pug, i won't take long to forget how much more it cost you. personally i've been building so much stuff out of walnut that i can't wait to get some cherry on the saw, i love to watch the color turn and it's a toss up for me what one i like better. +1 to micks, they do go great together

2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

$300 ? That's not going to be a little table is it ?

difference is actually closer to 250, but i wanted to account for an extra board for selection. Table is not huge, but about 72"L x 18"w x 30"h. Legs will need 8/4, and ill prob need to buy an 96"x 6" to get 8/4 walnut.

16 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Have you tried pricing bubinga? ?

haha, no. would need to travel to get it.