Oriental jewelry/keepsake box

mkrusen

11 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I think the lid is flush. The chamfer on the upper part of the box and underside of lid give the illusion thats its smaller. I might be mistaken but that's what it looks like to me.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Bingo. I like creating that little shadow line in there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

This is cool. Where did you get the inspiration for it? I kinda like the chamfer between the lid and the box it helps separate them.

Well the lid and handle are very similar to the Rogowski jewelry box. I saw a picture of some legs kinda like these that I liked and I just went with it from there. The ones I saw were ebony, very skinny and round, almost like spider legs. I wanted these to be a bit thicker. They kind of remind of beams for a pagoda or something.

I think the chamfer may be a little bigger than I would've liked but oh well. Hindsight is 20/20.

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

Now, that is sexy as hell!  Bamboo skewers for the leg connection? Damn well done!

Bamboo skewers, yep. The legs sit in a dado in that cross piece of bubinga and then are pegged with the bamboo for additional reinforcement. Not sure if it was necessary but it gives me peace of mind and adds another cool little feature.

23 minutes ago, mkrusen said:

Well the lid and handle are very similar to the Rogowski jewelry box. I saw a picture of some legs kinda like these that I liked and I just went with it from there. The ones I saw were ebony, very skinny and round, almost like spider legs. I wanted these to be a bit thicker. They kind of remind of beams for a pagoda or something.

I think the chamfer may be a little bigger than I would've liked but oh well. Hindsight is 20/20.

Bamboo skewers, yep. The legs sit in a dado in that cross piece of bubinga and then are pegged with the bamboo for additional reinforcement. Not sure if it was necessary but it gives me peace of mind and adds another cool little feature.

I've  used them to, I love them!  And they do give peace of mind!  Well done!

3 minutes ago, mkrusen said:

Oh man i thought those were a brass aluminum pin or something bamboo is way cooler. The spider legs kinda makes me want to make a box that looks like a spider.

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

That is a lovely and unique design, very well done! If your wife picked the materials, she has great taste - that combo is awesome!

She did! She's a keeper. She actually found the box with the spidery legs and asked me to do adapt them as well.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm really happy with the piece. Glad you guys enjoy!