Building a workbench

AJ_Engineer

Well I've started in on a split-top Roubo. Not planning on making any major modifications from the standard Benchcrafted + Maple combination.

So here is a picture of my bags of sawdust. Good thing tomorrow is trash day I can fit three of the bags in my wheely bin.

20161123_040812815_iOS.jpg

Some of that sawdust started looking like this. I was able to get 12' boards so I could cut off 4' and use those for rails + legs. Sadly most of the widths available were not well suited for this project so I only picked up just shy of 100bd ft to start. That was last Monday and this past weekend I went to another place and got some more maple that should give me plenty to finish the project.

20161115_222104840_iOS.jpg

Two key things. First, clamping down the lunchbox planer makes things much less exciting. Second, protect the wife's car so one doesn't bang boards into it. While I have a three car garage to play with a decent amount of real estate is still needed.

20161122_034615865_iOS.jpg

• Like 2

Some pictures in progress on the front slab. I skip planed the boards and put the curves opposite another. The even number and equal curves meant everything came out nice and square. Used a biscuit joiner for alignment. May buy a Domino for Christmas yet...

20161120_203219577_iOS.jpg

Used way too much glue and had a lot of squeeze out which is something I am still trying to get a feel for. I don't want to starve any joints.

20161121_020254512_iOS.jpg

Due to a split during resawing I had one board come out too thin in the 4" dimension so I scabbed on some scrap to make it bigger for my back slab. That was a bit of an adventure to mill up without a lot of waste. Didn't want to cut into my last 8/4 stock quite yet if I could avoid it. It's the board on the right with the front slab that fit on my 8" jointer (glad I went 8" on that).

20161122_025725135_iOS.jpg

And after noticing that my dust collector bin was over filled again this is where I left things tonight. Front slab along with dog hole strip and front laminate piece, along with the rough arrangement for the back slab. Should be gluing the back slab up tomorrow. I wasn't able to find anything decent for 12/4 for the end cap so I will likely just be laminating up some scraps for that.

20161123_041255846_iOS.jpg

Just now, Brendon_t said:

Yeah buddy.  strap in.  its gunna be a fun one.  current time to beat is held by Mr @Tom Cancelleri.15 working sessions start to finish.

Considering most of my working sessions are after I get the kid to bed and before I get myself to bed, I'm happy taking a few more days to finish it B). Goal is to have it done before kid #2 gets here in January.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AJ_Engineer said:

Goal is to have it done before kid #2 gets here in January.

Awesome this looks like fun. Excited to follow along. Don't worry that's not a bad timeline I'm hoping to have a bench by 2018 but i'm not very hopeful. I need to buy a bigger space to put it in first :D.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, estesbubba said:

Looking good! Did you get your maple from Intermoutain?

Got the first batch from them about 100 bd ft. At a bit of a sticker shock above $5bd/ft I only got just enough to start putting the tops together. Then I went down a week or two later to Brian at Big Red Sawmill and picked up some more 8/4 and 4/4 at about half the price. It's a softer maple with a bit more color but that suits me just fine. I should have gone there at the beginning but the last time I was down there he didn't have any and didn't know of any on the way. Saw his new addition to his big building under way and a palleted 36" planer, will be quite nice when he is done. So silly me not emailing him first.

2 hours ago, vtxmanmike said:

I'm gathering info and plans to build a workbench. I already have enough to do in December so maybe I can pickup the lumber in January! Thanks for sharing the process. It's really helping me.

Yeah I bought Marc's plans/videos about two years ago. Just now starting. Luckily I've watched them enough times that now it seems to be just refreshers. I probably would have started it a few years ago but I wanted to get a fairly difficult professional licensing exam series out of the way first.

There are a few people on here who have done some excellent journals of their builds as well. They have been quite helpful.

Slab flipped, layout lines run and a bit of testing the dog block plate back and forth. Then it was on to routing.

20161207_021958777_iOS.jpg

Got the rails set in and everything was still looking good.20161207_022728953_iOS.jpg

A bit of a test fit with the block and it was too tight. A combination of plane work on the block and a sanding block down the slot with just a few (less than 5) passes to knock down the high spots and things were going well.20161207_024734263_iOS.jpg

Then, disaster. Snapped the drill bit I was using off in the hole when I was going to full depth. I was using a slightly under-sized bit for the Spax screws so I would have plenty of holding power. First I tried drilling a relief hole on each side to get at it with pliers. No luck. I thought to myself "I need a plug cutter but I don't have one". Well I do have a combination drill/countersink set. So using the leftover broken shaft that was still in the drill and the countersink cutter alone I attached those together and wound up with something similar to a plug cutter.

20161207_030522940_iOS.jpg

Drilling down on top of the stuck bit I was able to widen out the hole enough to grab at it with pliers and yank it out.

20161207_030348746_iOS.jpg

20161207_030457264_iOS.jpg

I'm not worried about the hole, just set the rail back over it and attached them. Had the rails move ever so slightly inwards when torqued down fully which was annoying but no impact that I can see. Maybe I should have not drilled any holes for the screws and let the fastener holes in the rail just guide the screws. With the dog block installed I needed to trim up the plate side of the dog block just a bit with a plane, and sanded down a few more high spots and got it all together.

20161207_041616321_iOS.jpg

I have free movement and no binding, but the block does like to shake and make quite a bit of noise when it travels. Will see how it goes after using it may grease it. Tolerances seem acceptable in all dimensions with nothing binding up as far as I can see.

Next up: starting work on the base by rough milling and laminating for legs and rails.

• Like 1