Jewelry Box Concept

Janello

Thanks! It's been a challenge for a few reasons. Mostly, trying to strike a harmonious balance of these two woods has proven to be more difficult than I thought. They are so different in contrast it's been hard to balance them. So far, I'm pretty happy with it, but the top and bottom have me wracking the brain a bit.

Thanks Dave. I have never used a leigh, but I did some extensive research comparing the two before I got mine. I think the 24" omnijig is more versatile. It can do tapered sliding dovetails and miniatures as well as finger joints large and small (more options but with increased cost add ons). It also has better dust collection. The downside is the parts are not as readily available. They are somewhat proprietary. Even the router bits are 7 degree (porter-cable claims it replicates "period furniture") which limits the options to use 8 degree whiteside or amana. And, I think it's slightly more complicated to set up than the leigh. 

So, they both have some pro's and cons though it seems more people chose the leigh just based on the complexity of the omnijig. I personally chose it for its complexity and plethora of options. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

It can be frustrating to dial in, but I've made my peace with it. It's one of those tools that takes 5 times longer to set up then to use. Once dialed in for the operation, it busts out perfect repetitive results.

Edited by Janello

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Looking great ! 

Bye the time it's done you will need to start on a hope chest to finish it before the wedding !

Every few months, I think of a new date about 4 months away, to give it to her! 

It's definately the longest I have ever worked on a project. I don't know if it's because I hate purple wood now, or brusso stuff being expensive or the fact that I am totally winging this thing.. but now the plan is to give it to her for her college graduation in June. :P

One thing I will say is, it's a joy to work on it on the roubo!

1 hour ago, Chet K. said:

I really like the wood choices that you have John.  And now having the Roubo to pose it on adds to the artistic affect of the photos.

The Maple is going to really stand tall with the finish, What are you going to use?

Thanks, Chet. I was thinking of using the trans tint dye schedule that marc used in his pop the grain video just for the maple areas. Then just ARS on the purple heart. I never used trans tint, so I'll play around with some scraps first.

10 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

A waterbourne finish will not add any Amber tint over the purpleheart . General is supposed to have some good ones. The stuff I use is mostly sold to pro shops but I have read some good things about General's water based stains and finishes. 

Steve, are you saying if I add amber tint to a waterborne finish it won't yellow purpleheart? But it might or will if I use ARS?

I was under the assumption that any amber tint over the purpleheart  could make it muddy.

25 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

Looks good John but Shane says you should have used walnut :D

Thank's Mike. Shane will soon realize that Purpleheart is nicer than Walnut. They don't give out Walnuts to War Heroes. Kidding aside, I like Walnut...It's just so over-used. That said...I think my next project might be Walnut. Maybe I will paint it purple. :D

22 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Mask off the purpleheart door frame when you dye the maple. 

+1

• 3 months later...