Festool

Mikejpt

I recently received a substantial gift certificate form WoodCraft as a retirement gift. I am an intermediate woodworker and other than my Sawstop, don't own any " top tier " tools, ie Festool. Plenty of Dewalt, Porter Cable etc. None bad. Just an opportunity to step up. Any suggestions on what your fav Festool is plus dust extractor ? Budget 1000-1500. 

What BW said. 

I will say though that if you're looking at anything Festool you'll want to get a Cleantex (CT) dust extractor. I'd say for a home shop a CT26 will do the job. When you buy a CT with a tool you save like 10% or something like that. Just need to figure out what tools you want to add. If you don't have a finish sander, maybe an ETS 150/3, if you're looking to break down sheet goods, maybe a tracksaw. It really depends on what you're looking to build and do.

I have built 72 inch solid cherry chest on chest and next started a series of tiny boxes after that with 1/8 in box joints. Turned small platters and pens. Lots of Salt cellars to sell. Wine racks that are 5x5 36 in tall solid block of wood. So I guess  a lot of finish work needed. I have a Dewalt and Porter cable 5 in that are good but difficult at times to hold and dust collection with a shop vc is probably adequate. So I probably need the sander system but which one. Sure would love a domino and tracksaw and ...... Niether would get the use of a sander I don't think.

For finish sanding I'd recommend the ETS 150/3 for the higher grit stuff, and a 150/5 for lower grits if you're looking for a suite of nice new and good sanders. As for using a shop vac for dust extraction with the sander you'll need to make an adaptor that lowers the amount of suction going through the sander so it doesn't pull the sander to the work and cause pigtails. The nice thing about the Cleantex extractors is that they are pretty quiet and offer the ability to adjust suction, as well as turn on when you power on your sander.

I have built 72 inch solid cherry chest on chest and next started a series of tiny boxes after that with 1/8 in box joints. Turned small platters and pens. Lots of Salt cellars to sell. Wine racks that are 5x5 36 in tall solid block of wood. So I guess  a lot of finish work needed. I have a Dewalt and Porter cable 5 in that are good but difficult at times to hold and dust collection with a shop vc is probably adequate. So I probably need the sander system but which one. Sure would love a domino and tracksaw and ...... Niether would get the use of a sander I don't think.

Considering your chunk of change..  I would consider a CT/Domino package deal as it's cheaper that way.  I would then start investing in the sanders which will play nice with your CT unit.  Although the sanders are still expensive, it's more achievable.  Pick up the 150/3 or the 150/5 and enjoy!

Considering your chunk of change.. I would consider a CT/Domino package deal as it's cheaper that way. I would then start investing in the sanders which will play nice with your CT unit. Although the sanders are still expensive, it's more achievable. Pick up the 150/3 or the 150/5 and enjoy!

Yup, if it were me I would go with the domino/CT package plus the ETS150/5. You can get all three for under 1500.

My first foray into the Green Koolaid. Just arrived the other day. The 1/2 sheet sander is just what I needed for,my first furniture projects - a coffee table. I played around with some 100 & 120 grit paper on lean stock and this puppy was a dream. I plan on getting the new 150/3 or 150/5 whenever and if they hit the North American shores

post-16531-0-11122700-1420593065_thumb.j