Do you ever just go to hang out?

rodger.

I love it ,H3nry has such a small shop yet he's tackling such an impressive and original project !  Does the couch and bicycle  have to be in there too?  Maybe you could hang the bike on the wall or from the ceiling ?  But I could also see sitting on the couch working out the details of a project, or having a cold beer.

6 in my house including me and two of them are mothers 81 yrs old and 86 yrs old and BOTH of them have little yapping butt-lickers....if your wife had this situation, she'd see to it that you have a nice couch like h3nry AND she'd keep you company!

As far as the bourbon and woodworking....Gibbs can.  He's like Chuck Norris.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I often just hang out in the shop. Since I work in construction I'm not always in the mood to work in the shop; it sometimes just feels like I'm still at work. For example, if I did a bunch of sanding at work, and the next step on my personal project is sanding, I'm not doin' it that day. On those days I just sit and relax, putz with my tools, clean a bit, organize, enjoy a beverage, read a back issue of Fine Woodworking, etc. Even on days when I do work, I don't work the whole time I'm there. 

• Like 2

I definitely hang out in my shop. It's a rare day I don't go out there and at least look at/tinker with/think about something.. I have a Craftsman bar stool that I can actually do some work while sitting in, but if I'm just sitting and thinking, the one of my dove hunting chairs is always close by to do serious pondering.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My shop is 8 hours away. However, every chance I get, when I am there, I spend in my shop. Often until I am exhausted. At which time I pull up a chair, get a cold beer out of the shop fridge, sit my fat ass down, and just.... Be.  I think, I ponder, sometimes the wife comes out, and has a beer with me. She doesn't even expect me to talk. She understands that just being in the shop is a form of therapy to me.   After working 70 hours a week, every week, I get a lot of leeway when it comes to spending time decompressing in my shop.  

• Like 1

8 hours away?! what do you do?

I definitely find myself in my basement shop. Sometimes I find myself in a weird mood where I want to be doing something in my shop, but the next step in whatever I've got going isn't really appealing, or I might not even feel up to it, if it is something I feel really needs full concentration. At those times, I just putter around, put things away, clean, vaccuum etc. Its actually a pretty good way to get over the weird mood, because the next time I come down to my shop, it is all cleaned up and organized, which is pretty motivating and gets me extra energy to do the next step. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Sometimes I find myself in a weird mood where I want to be doing something in my shop, but the next step in whatever I've got going isn't really appealing

Man I totally know that feeling.  In fact I'm pretty sure I feel like that...all the time.

• Like 2