Do you ever just go to hang out?

rodger.

Every week day I head out the door to head off to to work, I head into the shop for a couple of minutes just to check things out. It's still the same as it was when I left the night before, but there is just something comforting about it before I start my work day.

This is me. Since I eave through the garage, I walk through/past the shop, and tinkering for a minute or two is a nice start to the day. Even better when I've actually gotten time in the shop the night before so I can check whatever was done and leave with a sense of accomplishment. Lord knows I won't get no such feeling from the layers of middle management at the job.

Lots of times.

I'll just ho out and sit and look things over. Maybe clean a little or just pull a ww book off the shelf and leaf through it.

Don't like to visit the shop in the morning because if I do I know I'll get involved in something and end up being late for work!

I do like to spend quiet time in the shop with either coffee or beer (usually not together). I also don't like to work with the garage door open because I tend to stare, think, ponder, daydream, whatever. When trying to solve a problem, whether technical or design, I get my best results by sort of defocusing and staring at nothing in particular. Being in my shop helps too. That tends to seem strange to many people, I'm sure. I thought there have been studies to that effect. How your brain works when it's not directly working on the problem at hand - the solution comes to you while shopping for groceries?!

If I am staring into nothing and my roommate comes in the garage, I will invariably grab something so I don't look like a petrified woodworker!  :P

I will go out to the shop, check the temperature, if it's comfortable in there (which is always is) I'll walk around the shop and look at stuff an think about what I need to do next, or where I might want to move something. Maybe I'll just putz around and figure out some stuff. I've sat in there and had a beer while looking around. Maybe dust off the tables and sweep and vacuum, or put a couple of things away. 

I will go out to the shop, check the temperature, if it's comfortable in there (which is always is) I'll walk around the shop and look at stuff an think about what I need to do next, or where I might want to move something. Maybe I'll just putz around and figure out some stuff. I've sat in there and had a beer while looking around. Maybe dust off the tables and sweep and vacuum, or put a couple of things away.

If it's comfortable, listen at ya! :D

My shop is where I have my first cup of coffee every morning. Catch up on woodworking forums as well as the local news. By 6:30 (week days) I am all caught up so off to the shower so that I can start my day driving the brown truck that delivers all your woodworking supplies. (along with the stuff that other folks buy "LOL")

Thanks to all of these answers, I no longer feel the need for counseling.

Counseling... I posted a pic of a current project (bar stools) in progress to FB the other day and pondered if I could have the project done by Labor Day. Someone replied "order from Amazon and you'll have it by Tuesday". I choose not to respond with a snotty woodworking answer but rather - "...but then I'd have to go to counseling. Woodworking is my sanity." 

Speaking of hanging out in the shop... i've been trying to decide on a chair for the shop. Right now all I have is a single camp chair in one corner but keep thinking i need something more. What do you have to sit on in your shop?

• Like 1

Speaking of hanging out in the shop... i've been trying to decide on a chair for the shop. Right now all I have is a single camp chair in one corner but keep thinking i need something more. What do you have to sit on in your shop?

All I have are some simple metal folding chairs.  It's pretty annoying. =(  I think one of the basic shop stools on wheels would be nice.  For me it wil also matter more when/if I get heat and a/c in my shop. Right now if I wanna sit I also wanna cool off so I just go inside.  The wife loves a sweaty dusty woodworker sitting on the couch or at the kitchen table. =p