Shop Remodel

Brian Noel

• 2 weeks later...

Brian, can you explain more about how you made that spiral pattern?  You turned it into a dowel with the router and then routed that twisted pattern in it... but I just ca'tn get my head around how that worked - what was turning the spindle and advancing the router at the right relative rates?

Thanks guys for the link, that kid made a neat jig. The mill is a little more involved than just a duplicator although it does have that function. It is built around a lathe style rotary bed with an extruded aluminum transom cage that can be tilted in either forward or backward directions. There are two guide screws that direct the routers path on the x and y axis' with stops to limit travel. The screws are operated by hand wheels.  The gear box at the front has capabilities to rotate in either clockwise or counterclockwise direction with a variance of gear ratios to achieve a variety of pitches to your turning. here are some examples of things that can be done with it.

5+Axis+Turning+Demo.jpg

I got started on my bench top yesterday and have the back forty glued up ( the slab behind the split)

DSCF0926.JPG

It would be nice to have a huge slab and make the top from one piece like Schawrz does in his blog, but this is what I have. A bunch of leftovers from other jobs all bought at different times. I did find a nice piece of birdseye to use for the face which I have had hidden away for about 6-7 years.

DSCF0931.JPG

I have started to make some of the tool holders for the inside of the cabinet and I used my cnc to make a few pieces. This will be for the chisels to set in.

DSCF0895.JPG

Got the dog hole board milled up and I am just about ready to glue the top up. Just have to triple check all my math for the tail vise.

DSCF0937.JPG

Math makes my hair hurt. Even though they give you great directions to put the tail vice in it is still a headache. The thought that one wrong measurement or miscalculation and I am goofed. I have a feeling it will all be O.K. though, this whole build has been fun and gone very well. I am glad I didn't try to take it on 10 years ago, might not have gone so well.

DSCF0935.JPG

• Like 1

I finally got my saw till completed and made a video of how it went. It was a lot of fun to make. Take a look and let me know what you all think. 

Take care.

DSCF0906.thumb.JPG.1bfe351411bb894487d7caed8489cf01.JPG

icon.thumb.jpg.87c7af76aeca99ed9736759ff1b9cda4.jpg

Brian, awesome shop, awesome skills, awesome video. Really impressed!! Love the disclaimer lmao!!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk