Shop Remodel

Brian Noel

I am working on the dead man today. It will look like this.

bench.jpg

The runner will be maple to give a little contrast and the deadman will be a lamination with maple and walnut like the chop. In the picture I had drawn some drawers, but I am forgoing those. Later on down the road when I am in my big-boy shop I will build a stand of drawers to go under the tool cabinet, maybe it will look trunkish. I might leave off the inlay for now as I have orders to get to, but I am very close to done.

Frank Klausz and I think Chris Schwarz talked about using a slave for really long stuff. First off, I don't do long stuff, but if I do I will have a slave laying around. One of my kids will do nicely. "Come hither SLAVE and hold this board whilst I work", "Good slave" ;) "Now fetch your master a coffee!" Gotta love having kids.

• Like 1

Great job Brian!  Awesome looking pieces with really custom design elements.

Please don't leave the forum now that these are done.  From all the comments, I bet we'd love to see future projects that you'd be willing to share, and have you chime in on other threads and help others on their journeys.

How's this guys for a mascot?

DSCF1442.JPG

DSCF1443.JPG

I haven't smacked a hip yet, but I did slide it over a smudge just to be sure. I don't plan to leave the forum all together, I am just going to concentrate on work for a while to get caught up. When I have something cool to show you all I will definitely poet it and I will hang around the forums when I have time. If there are any who have questions they are welcome to contact me. Take care and have fun woodworking.

• Like 2

On February 11, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Brian Noel said:

Hey all, I just finished the second video in the remodel series about the tool cabinet. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. Thanks,

Great video and overall project...amazing really. 

Im in the midst of building my own (and much less artistic) cabinet. Was intrigued by your cleat system and curious what deminsions worked for you...was thinking half inch thick, 3/4 tall with a 3/8 deep rabbit?

thanks for sharing. 

For the doors I used 3/4"x 2" with a 1/4" rabbet. On the back of the case I went a little beefier with 1 1/4"x 1 3/4" with a 1/2" rabbet. The only thing I would say would be adding some more lateral cleats will give more adaptability when choosing where to place a holder, but I wanted to keep the look as clean as I could. It is a great system and works very well, I haven't had any issues yet.

Great video and I totally agree with your position. " This is how I do it. there are many ways..."

I appreciate the effort that went into your cabinet and bench. Truly heirloom quality. You should find a spot to sign and date the 3 pieces as a set and hopefully they will remain together for a very long time. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Thanks Brian, I scaled my down a bit to 1.5 inches tall but went with 3/8 grooves...mostly because I was nervous about only 1/4 inch lip. If you had any additional pics of your chisel holder for the cleat attachment point would love to see for inspiration. Thanks!

Sorry Brian, one other question, did you finish the cabinet?  I'm debating that right now...was thinking danish oil inside and ARS on the outside but curious to what you did and why...i guess that question is for others as well (although not trying to high-jack the thread).

Here is a picture of the backside of the chisel holder. I found a fun way to dowel everything that works really well. I used hibachi grill skewers that are 1/8" thick to dowel the parts that needed extra support. They are bamboo and very strong.

DSCF1445.JPG

As for the finish, I usually use a Maloofy-ish oil/poly varnish followed up by a wax mix i make, but for the cabinet I used just a wipe on poly, my shop can get very dusty and I didn't want the oils or waxes to grab the dust. I wanted to be able to blow everything off with compressed air and not get a gummy coat on the cabinet. ARS would definitely hold up well ;)

• 2 weeks later...