Shop Remodel

Brian Noel

Stuck in a hotel, waiting for the rest of my traveling companions to wake so we can go get lumber at the wholesaler. This is my semi-annual lumber run where I grab a few hundred board feet of stuff I need for the next few jobs and stuff I don't need that looks like fun. We are going to a upholstery supply store and a leather supply store as well. I am really looking forward to the leather store, it looks awesome. http://oregonleatherco.com/

I have been learning to do more upholstery over the years as there has been call for it, I have some fun doing it. It has been impossible to find someone local that can give me the quality I want for my work, so I have to muddle thru it and hopefully I can pull it off. This is the store I am going to check out, maybe it will have some cool stuff??http://bhupholsterysupply.com/ 

My wholesaler for the lumber is fun and the guys that work there are a riot, a couple of old curmudgeons that tell some good jokes. http://www.crosscuthardwoods.com/

Hope you all have a great day and have fun woodworking ;)

Had a fun day, Finally back home. I took some pictures of the lumber yard. I ended up with some beautiful walnut, some cherry and curly maple. I also got talked into getting three craft scrap boxes. It was an idea they had to get rid of some smaller stuff, but I guess it didn't go over so well, so I got them for a song. Had some fun and I am looking forward to getting back to work. This week has been a lot of driving.

DSCF1566.JPG

DSCF1567.JPG

DSCF1568.JPG

I got some awesome dark leather for the bench, it is going to go very well. It is a lot thicker and stiffer than the stuff they send with the benchcrafted hardware. Like I said, that stuff ain't Scottish. ;)

DSCF1569.JPG

DSCF1571.JPG

DSCF1573.JPG

I forgot to mention my big trip north this week to pick up my new jointer and sander. It is hard when I am on several forums to remember which one I told about certain stuff. If you want to read about it http://lumberjocks.com/bearkatwood/blog/79938

Here are some pics of the goodies I got. They were coated in cosmo so it took a bit to shine them up, but hey, no rust ;)

DSCF1548.JPG

Have a great weekend everyone and have fun woodworking.

DSCF1574.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So my shop remodel is finally done,

Thanks to (my pimp daddy) Matt Cremona for the jump start to my youtube channel. ;)

Thanks to John Switzer over at Black Bear Forge for the amazing hold fasts.

And thanks to all of you who have sat thru my blogs over the past months. I hope to take advantage of the space and make some fun shows about what I am working on. So grab some popcorn and enjoy the show. The go to my site and buy some stickers or wax blocks, you know, stuff you can't live without.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I love the elfin woodshop feel of things Brian.  I am jealous of a woodworker who is also an artist.  Your shop atmosphere is an inspiration :).  This is a thread I will be going through more than once.

P.s. You live in the same town as a guitar playing friend of mine from way back.

You are the first person to comment on it and it was part of what I wanted to show with my video. I have another plan for a video that should be pretty good, looking for the first aid box ;)

Thanks for watching, I try to keep it fun. I think people get more info from watching something done than they do from some long drawn out lecture so I just try to show what I am doing and then have some fun to keep it moving. I hope to make many more fun things like this one. Take care.