Shop Remodel

Brian Noel

I will have to look into that photobucket thingy. It sounds like an extra step, but maybe it's worth it. I don't have plans for any carving on the bench, but there will be some inlay. I am making a carving table to go on the opposite side of the door that will have carved legs.

I woke up this morning to about an hours worth of reading on my e-mail. Matt Cremona had my till on his weekly update and I got a lot of response. Thanks Matt!!

The bench is coming along nicely. I got a message from Richard Maguire A.K.A. "The English Woodworker" and he said that was the first bench he had seen with turned legs. That's what I thought as well. Having fun ;)

DSCF1154.JPG

There are some candlestick holders I made yesterday on top. I turned them with the same mill as the bench legs.

DSCF1174.JPG

I have been getting video of just about everything I do to use in the "Workbench" video. They next video will be the tool cabinet, but I won't have it done for a few more weeks.

Today I got the side panels for the bench glued up. I used square hickory pegs for the draw-bore pegs that worked great.

DSCF1214.JPG

DSCF1188.JPG

• Like 1

It is for the benchcraft leg vise. I had some worry it would't have enough beef to take what I intend to dish out so I added another chunk today, but it will be behind the chop and not seen to much. I could have left the legs square and kept the beef, but where is the fun in that.

DSCF1143.JPG

DSCF1203.JPG

DSCF1206.JPG

The chop should give enough to look at that you don't see my correction. I have used black hardware on everything I have made so far and thankfully the scissors are black, but the handles are silver so I intend to dye them black using gun bluing. If benchcraft offers a black version, then I am a doof, but I will make it work for me.

bench.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Chris1970,

I have the tool holders in for the right side door. I used leaves to hold the saws in place for my dovetail and carcass saws. I made simple plates to hold my files and rasps. I used my cnc to carve out a plate for my chisel holder.

DSCF1286.JPG

DSCF1288.JPG

DSCF1301.JPG

I am hoping to be done with the remodel by the end of next week, I have orders to fill and other things to do, but when I get a chance i will come back to finish the plane till and drill press table, but for now I will be done. Thanks for following along with me. 

DSCF1295.JPG

I started putting the skirt around the bench top. I will be installing the end vise today and hopefully finishing up the skirting. I have too many orders coming in to keep going so I am trying to finish everything by Friday. I have a grant to put a bench and chair in our local library, an order of dining chairs, an order of 31 graduation canes some sofa legs for an upholsterer and candlestick holders I have been working on. It has been a lot of fun to share with everyone while I worked on this remodel, but unfortunately until this fall when things usually slow down I am going to have to put off the plane till. Thanks for reading along.Here is yesterdays progress. I also finally put some trim on the door. I stained pine to go with the walnut.

DSCF1335.JPG

I cut away where the skirt will set into the legs.

DSCF1333.JPG

Some crazy dovetails.

DSCF1339.JPG

DSCF1340.JPG

Door trim.

DSCF1344.JPG

DSCF1345.JPG

I still have the leg vise to install and some inlay to do to get it done by Friday, hopefully I can make it. I am working on two videos while I do it which slows things down a bit. Have a great week.

DSCF1346.JPG

• Like 1

It is 34" high. I got the plans from benchcrafted, they were very pretty. My wife said they would look nice mounted and framed, so I rolled them back up and put them away. I made so many modifications to the bench, I don't know if it qualifies to be a Roubo. It is 32" deep with the split being off center at 19" so I can push chair legs against it.