Shop Remodel

Brian Noel

Thanks guys, I am still trying to get used to how this site operates, so bare with me on my posts. I have been taking video and lots of pictures while making this set as I knew it was going to epic. Just making the wall wider and painting it was a big improvement. I used to have a painted sign on my door that read "Chairman of the board" It was hard to read and you couldn't see it well from a distance so I laminated some walnut and maple and made a new one that turned out really cool and compliments the build as well.

DSCF0412.jpg

DSCF0436.5.jpg

DSCF0489.5.jpg

DSCF0563.5.jpg

DSCF0564.5.jpg

DSCF0588.5.jpg

DSCF0626.5.jpg

DSCF0411.5.jpg

DSCF0389.5.jpg

And I thought my saw till was pretty spiffy... nice...

I'm on my third generation of tills... As my collection of tools shrinks, my tills follow suit...

I see we have the same OCD instinct when it comes to spokeshave tills -- I've got the same setup and many of the same shaves in just about the same order...

Spokeshaves-1.thumb.jpg.b07a64d60be7335e

My plane till is next... While I'm not as adventurous with carving, I may jazz my effort a bit... Thanks for the inspiration...

• Like 1

==>Why is your collection shrinking?

Essentially, if I thought I’d use a tool, I’d just get it... After some years, I had scores of tools that were redundant or hadn’t even been used...

Around the same time, I read Schwarz, The Anarchist’s Tool Chest – a text about developing a workflow and minimal toolset to build full-sized furniture, getting rid of what doesn’t fit and mastering everything that remains... Over the past two years, I’ve tossed over a hundred tools off the ship – everything from my biscuit joiner to my LN-LAJ... There are around fifty more under review...

Note: Chris sold around a hundred tools during his journey towards tool anarchy... You can see the list on his blog...

Edited by hhh

I was also super pumped yesterday, I got my Galbert travisher in the mail I ordered a while back. Still waiting on the benchcrafted stuff, hopefully I am done with the cabinet when it gets here as I know I will want to start on the bench right away. The second picture is the texture I am putting on the tree carving.

DSCF0745.5.jpg

DSCF0733.5.jpg

Thanks alot Brian, now i NEED a travisher!!! LOL. Your shop remodel is really coming along. The texture on the tree is really looking realistic. Kinda funny to think of cutting the tree down, sawing the tree up, drying it, milling up the lumber etc. All that work to go from tree to lumber and now you are turning it back into a tree!! hahah!! 

I wish I had a bathroom in the shop, no it goes into an art room with paints and such stuff.

I broke into it yesterday to get a soap mold. I had some lumber i was waxing and I use a crock pot to apply my wax. I had a piece of paraffin wax to use with my planes and saws, but it got misplaced, so I made some seashells of wax to keep at the till.

DSCF0846.JPG

We have supplies in the art room for making paper and soaps, jewelry, carving supplies, wood burning, glass etching and precious metal clay. It is like a mini Hobby Lobby in there. We have a library of books and the stereo is housed in there too.

DSCF0847.JPG