Ellen is back

AstroDave

I thought Sef should have gone home.  Poor craftsmanship, bad time management, and taking unfair shorcuts by stealing the drawers.   Plus the "soundwaves" were unrecognizable.  Even when he told you what they were supposed to represent it still-looked like a beat up corrugated roof that he painted teal. 

Probably biased because it was made of wood but the chair was my favorite piece of the whole season.  I thought it should have won.

Sef is insufferable.  I really feel bad for his carpenter, Chip.  He seems like a good guy, and he's stuck with that moron.  I almost threw the remote at the TV when Sef was talking about how "high-end" his dresser was.  Please, the doors were falling off.  After pondering the design for an entire day, all he came up with is a rectangular box with some CNC'd plastic attached to the front.   

The chair guys seems to be the only one who is actually a woodworker, but I think that works to his detriment, because the show is about design and the judge's don't really care that he knows how to use a lathe.  The woman who made the coffee table seems to be a pretty talented metal worker, but I wasn't crazy about her table design.  Guess I'm just bias towards wood.  The other guy has some interesting ideas, but I really hated that octagon table with the hydrolic lift from a few episode ago.  It was too gimicky.  

37 minutes ago, Dknapp34 said:

Sef is insufferable.  I really feel bad for his carpenter, Chip.  He seems like a good guy, and he's stuck with that moron.  I almost threw the remote at the TV when Sef was talking about how "high-end" his dresser was.  Please, the doors were falling off.  After pondering the design for an entire day, all he came up with is a rectangular box with some CNC'd plastic attached to the front.   

The chair guys seems to be the only one who is actually a woodworker, but I think that works to his detriment, because the show is about design and the judge's don't really care that he knows how to use a lathe.  The woman who made the coffee table seems to be a pretty talented metal worker, but I wasn't crazy about her table design.  Guess I'm just bias towards wood.  The other guy has some interesting ideas, but I really hated that octagon table with the hydrolic lift from a few episode ago.  It was too gimicky.  

I feel the same about Chip, he got screwed with that weirdo haha.  Of course, it is a TV show, could just be scripted out that way.  Was surprised when Sef put a pic of him and his fiance....:ph34r: 

11 hours ago, krtwood said:

All the hate for Sef... I like him.  He's willing to take time to come up with a design that he believes in and he'll stick with it even if the judges aren't into it when they offer their critique.  I think he's the next one to go but I respect him.

Imo, there's a difference between putting ample thought into something, and thinking so much you don't have time to actually DO. A good concept is obviously very important but without proper execution,  a good concept is about worthless. 

Yeah, the time factor is interesting in these types of contests.  You have 3-4 days to design and build something, but it seems like the judges want you to have an innovating design each time.  Innovation has its own pace for each person, but these shows (understandably, it is a show) push them to do it at production speeds or faster.  I'm pretty sure all the items they had in their portfolio were not designed in 1 day and built in 2 days.

With Sef, he's had a couple really nice pieces.  I liked that reflection table he did.  But, it seems like he doesn't quite key in on the requirements and is more focused on whatever he wants.  The judges are essentially his clients and they give him feedback on what they're looking for, and most of the time he just does his own thing anyway.  Like in this last challenge, it was mentioned many times that comfort was the #1 priority in a green room, but he said over and over - I disagree, it's essentially a waiting room, I don't want them to get too comfortable.  That said, those were some bad ass waiting room chairs.

There was one episode last season where Tim spent the whole first day trying to figure out what to do as well.  The difference was the idea he came up with was pretty simple to execute.  It was the one with the big fan shroud.  Sef's idea of using a waveform of someone's activities was an interesting one and would certainly appeal to a certain kind of client.  Cnc'd mdf painted teal wasn't going to appeal to those on a woodworking forum though.  

I've always thought they were kind of hamming up the time factor for tv but more lenient in reality because some things the way they were presented there was just no way it was going to be done.  If there's somebody with a random orbit sander in their hand with 10 seconds left there isn't going to be a piece with finish on it and yet somehow there is.  But they wouldn't let him even adjust the hinges so maybe not.

No argument there.  He started (and finished :lol:) off good with the walnut seat, but that really was the end of it.  I liked the concept, but even if he executed the functions better he was still missing the aesthetics.

I've always liked Vivian, but she's less consistent than Sef has been, so she'll have to be really focused to win.  It'll be entertaining for sure.

I remember that episode with Tim.  When he seemingly stumbled on the fan shroud idea, I thought he was grasping at straws and that it'd be terrible.  But I actually liked it.  Even my wife said that's something she'd put in the house.

I've liked and respected Vivian from the beginning, mainly because of her skill with metalwork.  I've already said how I feel about Sef. ;) That said, I'm surprised she won.  I liked both of Sef's pieces better than both of Vivian's, and I was sure Vivian's table was going to get dinged for still being too much like her previous piece.  Sef definitely won the last challenge to me, hard to say who was overall better.  Tough decision for the judges for sure.

Neither of their stuff is my style - as they've said in the show, a lot of their pieces are very sculptural.  I hardly have photos hanging in my house, let alone furniture pieces that are works of art.  The one designer's furniture I really liked was the lady in the very first episode, the one who was into horses I believe.  But I guess that was too "normal" for a show like this.

Sef's bed wasn't great, but leaps and bounds better than his first bed.  One thing I was curious about when I saw the initial design, was how he was going to transition in the corners.  There was a quick shot where it looked like they were using bondo in the corner (or some other filler, but it looked pink to me), so I assumed they then shaped it to make a smoother transition.  What I don't get is how they hid the bondo and made it look like wood again?