Stand-alone shop build

-MattK-

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

Sorry, I've got to disagree with you here. To get LEDs with a CRI of over 90 you've got to spend lots of money. Most LED fixtures you will find at Lowes, HD, Costco etc will have a CRI in the 70 - 80 range or worse.

You can get fluorescents (Philips F32T8TL950) that have a CRI of 98.

Oh i probably agree with you that the box store LED's aren't the best but What mIke found sounds pretty damn good. To be fair I'm probably not comparing apples to apples. I have cheap CFLs 2900k in my shop so the nicer LED bench light probably gives the LED's an unfair bias. I really should get a slightly cooler temperature but anything beyond 4000k in CFL gives me headaches.

19 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Oh i probably agree with you that the box store LED's aren't the best but What mIke found sounds pretty damn good. To be fair I'm probably not comparing apples to apples. I have cheap CFLs 2900k in my shop so the nicer LED bench light probably gives the LED's an unfair bias. I really should get a slightly cooler temperature but anything beyond 4000k in CFL gives me headaches.

Just to clarify: CRI & color temperature are separate ratings. A light source, be it LED or fluorescent can be a wide range, 3000K, 3500K, 4000K, 5000K etc, & still have a high CRI. If your concerned with good color fidelity, then it's high CRI you need. Color temperature is more a matter of personal taste. 5000K is very close to the light we get from a clear sky. For example, I have 5000K fluorescents in my shop. When I open the north facing OH door on a clear day, there is no appreciable change is the quality of light.

But 5000K is pretty white & a lot of people prefer something warmer. in my home I like 3000 - 3500K.

1 minute ago, drzaius said:

Just to clarify: CRI & color temperature are separate ratings.

I was reading something on the internet that was correlating Florescent color temps and CRI. I don't generally believe everything i read on the internet so it could have been bad information.

A friend put up a building like mine and also ran Ethernet cable to his. He is a network guy and like you read said lightning can fry the cable. He said if it happens he'll go with wireless point to point like I did for mine which works good.

http://www.engeniustech.com/products/outdoor-access-points-client-bridges/ap-bridges-outdoor/ens500.html

those look very cool!  Of course our internet connection is on the far side of the house - and it was just easier to just run cables and fiber.  I ended up with 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFATKQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

and one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NXNPV0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

so $190 and I'm confident I have good connectivity!    I'm going to have a wireless access point out there, too (you put one in, right?).

And a big screen TV, of course!

5 hours ago, estesbubba said:

It's sunny out there - where are the workers? They need to get back at it so we can talk about real shop things instead of lights and networking. 

Monday was a panel replacement and roofing going on.

They had a crane day on another site today I believe. Expecting windows and door to be installed tomorrow.  Power to the shop, too, I think. And slab on Thursday I believe.

I'm supervising from the Florida Keys since the kids are off this week.  Shhh, don't tell!  Nice to see all that snow and not have to deal with it!

Got the estimate from the electrician to wire up the shop.  I won't even say the number because it's SO ridiculous.  So he's going to finish the panel and then I'll find someone else.  It will slow me down a bit but I think I'll save a few thousand bucks.  My town won't let a homeowner run electrical, so I've gotta find someone to do it no matter what.

Matt K -

Very nice shop, very jealous!

On the topic of one of the things I deal with in life - lightning and wiring...  Not to freak you out, but generally a 'no no' to have communications wire and fiber in the same conduit in my business.  An unfortunate (and fun) fact is that the telco & cable connections into your house have very good grounding, and in many, many cases are beat the building ground system in terms of low resistance.  Equally unfortunate is that they cannot handle a lot of current. 

Just make sure that anything connected to the RG6 & Cat5 has isolation on either side of the run and is physically separate from the fiber.  Main concern would be the RG6 taking load from a nearby strike and scorching everything at one of the bends in the conduit.  Just run it through some sort of isolation before it enters the conduit - usually that will give a lightning hit something cheap to blow up.  Main concern would be from the shop back into the house.

And this is a fairly nerdy, nit-picky item.  You have very low risk here, and a well thought out setup as is.  Awesome work, and look forward to seeing this finished.

Thanks for the feedback, man.  So it sounds like even my belt and braces approach was still flawed, huh?  Shoot!  Luckily we left another string in the conduit.

when you say "some sort of isolation" what does that mean?  Is there something special I should buy?  Does it need to be grounded?  Can I just use the ground from my electrical system or does it need to be a special dedicated ground?

thanks man!

Not a flawed approach at all - just different versions of belt, suspenders, etc...  Frankly, anything that would fry the cabling would probably be smoking quite a few other things in the shop too...

RG6 Protector

Something like that will work if you are just passing regular cable TV/internet over it (pass up to 1 GHz). If you run MoCa over it you would need to pass up to 1.5 GHz - but no reason to with the fiber in place.  You would just tie the protector into the earth connection for the electrical in the shop - should be easy.

Again, you would be at super low risk here with everything you've already done.  You have already out nerded 99% of the population by running the fiber and thinking about it...

• Like 1

no slab yet - we can't find a good window of time temperature-wise to do it.  There's a bit of frost inside the garage door that has the concrete guy worried.  So we're waiting on either really good weather or electrical and insulation so we can run heating out there.

Of course it's 54 today! (and raining it's balls off outside)

I'm speaking with a few other electricians this week, I hope to have it figured out soon.

2 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

Looks like you need a kayak to get to your shop right now. 

It's awful.  We have a gravel drive and the pitch is all screwed up after all the work we've had done...  can't wait for the ground to thaw so we can get an asphalt drive installed out there.

I'll move the camera inside when things get exciting - not much to share at the moment!

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

Asphalt driveway that's something i don't ever see here. It's either concrete or gravel. But honestly something impervious is better than gravel any time i guess. I suppose your going to make sure to correct the slope issue.

yeah, we're going to fix the pitch and maybe put in another dry well - I think it'll be the 4th on our property!  We're at the bottom of a hill so have some water issues.  Basement is really well waterproofed with a few sump pumps, so we seem ok there (touch wood!)

This is our first house with a gravel drive - I can't stand it in the winter.  I don't run my snowblower on it because I've heard nightmares of the thing picking up gravel and putting it through a window... so it gets plowed and then turns into an ice rink.

Not a lot of concrete drives in our town - the common thing seems to be a strip of Belgian block at the beginning of the drive and then asphalt.  Some folks have paver drives, but probably more on the really expensive places.