Stand-alone shop build

-MattK-

31 minutes ago, davestanton said:

Man do I feel humbled!

You know, I make these videos and I see the figures but to actually see an image of Barry and me on someone else's screen on the other side of the planet....I'm speechless!

Cool feeling to know that your videos are reaching people..  Congrats!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Matt - your shop is really turning out to be awesome. First Janello and now you with the natural wood and I might have to eventually do something to my back wall. Please post more pictures of it with all the machines in there. 

What size TV do you have? When I got the final inspection for my shop the first thing the inspector said was "Your TV is too small". 32" does look tiny in mine. 

Enjoy your new shop!

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

Looks fantastic Matt! Hope you do a journal for the nightstands.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I started, I swear!  I just was brought to a complete halt with the inoperable milling machine...  it was actually pretty scary, and admittedly incredibly stupid....  I was trying to place some outfeed rollers to get better support as board were coming off the jointer.  I left the jointer running as I was getting the height right for the outfeed stands (it's so damn quiet).  With the outfeed table too low (which I didn't realize) the cutter head had a really easy time grabbing the board and shooting it across the shop, putting a pretty big dent in my workbench! 

Very stupid Matt but thankfully no one was standing there and it ended up being a "cheap" lesson.

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I cant believe you have to pay them hundreds of dollars for fixing a machine that arrived from them with a problem. Real classy.

Yeah, I was really unimpressed with their customer service. it came poorly calibrated with a broken part.  But I left it sitting on a pallet for 9 months while the shop was built, so I didn't identify the issue on delivery.  I guess I can see their point of view, but it just feels like they automatically assumed I did it....  There wasn't much trust from them and they were kind of dicks on email and on the phone.   Maybe with it totally dialed in I'll forget about all of this but from where I sit right now it's probably the last machine I buy from them.

Oh, and they charged me $65/hr for travel time, too.  Not hobbiest-friendly policies! (Or "hobbits friendly" as my autocorrect wanted to change that to!)

Yeah, I was really unimpressed with their customer service. it came poorly calibrated with a broken part.  But I left it sitting on a pallet for 9 months while the shop was built, so I didn't identify the issue on delivery.  I guess I can see their point of view, but it just feels like they automatically assumed I did it....  There wasn't much trust from them and they were kind of dicks on email and on the phone.   Maybe with it totally dialed in I'll forget about all of this but from where I sit right now it's probably the last machine I buy from them.

Oh, and they charged me $65/hr for travel time, too.  Not hobbiest-friendly policies! (Or "hobbits friendly" as my autocorrect wanted to change that to!)

Ya that really sucks man. I really hope the machine serves you well for years to come so you can forget that.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wow that shop is amazing!! Great job!

I bought my A3-31 at AWFS as a demo about 10 years ago worked great from the time it was dropped off...but there are days I wish I had separate machines. I am with you on their user guides they may as well be in another language cause they aren't worth jack! They could learn something from Festool when it comes to customer service even getting blades is a bit of a pain.

• Like 1

That shop looks amazing. I'm envious of that work-space, not the tools the space. I can buy tools space is a LOT more expensive. I'm sorry to hear about your machine i agree that seems a bit unfair but you got it fixed and fixed right. You'd probably have a lot more buyers remorse if you fixed it and it just never worked right since. I now feel bad for complaining about chipped paint on my Powermatic seems childish by comparison.

That garden is AWESOME! I've been spending a lot of time in mine and am excited about this year's growing season. I have 31 tomatoe plants and 41 various pepper plants.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

They're good!  I can't remember what I shared, so here's where we are....

we originally had 4 arrive, of those, one is handicapped...  Not sure if it was an "at hatching" thing or from the trip through the mail to us, but she has a leg that sticks out funny, so she hops around on one leg. (This means that every night someone has to go lift her up into the coop...  Generally my wife, not me!)  she's a bit smaller than the rest but she's ok.  We're pessimistic that she'll make it thigh the winter though.

of those 4 we had another one get an infection in her crop.  there was some pretty big efforts to save her but she didn't make it unfortunately.  At one point I was holding the chicken and Vicky was injecting vagisil into her throat with a syringe.  I dunno man, something she read about on the Internet!  Personally if I had to go through that I'd probably give up, too.

Anyway, thinking she might be left with only 2 chickens, V ordered 3 more.  They're 6-7 weeks apart in age, so we had to integrate them....  They're still figuring out the pecking order, but we haven't had any big injuries from them fighting so far. They're now all living together and figuring things out, though they do seem to have little chicken cliques.

We're afraid one of the new batch may be a rooster, I'll fill you in if that's the case!

oh and one of the new chickens is a jersey giant, so it could be interesting to see how big she turns out.

no eggs yet, probably nothing until October or so.