Stand-alone shop build

-MattK-

Ok, still playing the DA roll. Dry well here means no oil. Why would you want one? Here, to collect water, we have retention ponds. Not a hole, but a friggin 1/4 acre hole in the ground, connected via 4' drain to run it off. So it's like a French drain or something? Sorry op for the diversion. 

40 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Ok, still playing the DA roll. Dry well here means no oil. Why would you want one? Here, to collect water, we have retention ponds. Not a hole, but a friggin 1/4 acre hole in the ground, connected via 4' drain to run it off. So it's like a French drain or something? Sorry op for the diversion. 

Coop, it's like a dry well and a French drain had an ugly, expensive baby and then decided to bury it.

I believe there are multiple ways to do it - here's what went in behind the shop:

drywell.thumb.jpg.0423e5048c97eda012dd7e

The black plastic things are called cultec chambers - there's six of them in there - each one is ~4' x 8' and holds 318 gallons.  The installation is sized to take the storm water from the roof of the shop in some theoretical massive storm.

We had engineers out digging test holes to calculate how well the ground can absorb water - it was a surprising amount of work.

(and I'm the op so no need to apologize for side-tracking!)

6 hours ago, shaneymack said:

You have chickens?

* chicken

When we moved into this house (June '14) we had 4 chickens.  Lost 3 of them (one to a raccoon, two to hawks) before I built that coop.  So we have one lonely paranoid chicken left.  But I believe we're getting more this year.

It's a really neat hobby - my wife ordered them online.  They hatch on a Monday, the put them in the mail on Tuesday and Wednesday the post office calls and says "Mrs K, there's a package here that's peeing for you."

Between my wife's chickens and my woodworking I'm pretty sure we're the Beverly Hillbillies of Greenwich, CT.

1 hour ago, -MattK- said:

* chicken

When we moved into this house (June '14) we had 4 chickens.  Lost 3 of them (one to a raccoon, two to hawks) before I built that coop.  So we have one lonely paranoid chicken left.  But I believe we're getting more this year.

It's a really neat hobby - my wife ordered them online.  They hatch on a Monday, the put them in the mail on Tuesday and Wednesday the post office calls and says "Mrs K, there's a package here that's peeing for you."

Between my wife's chickens and my woodworking I'm pretty sure we're the Beverly Hillbillies of Greenwich, CT.

That's allowed? There is ordinances here prohibiting keeping farm type animals within city limits.

You have chickens?

* chicken

Thats cool Matt!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

....must.....refrain....from.....obvious......remark......

nope, can't do it. Ken, its a hole in the ground, with no water in it. *rimshot*

?

...filled with coarse gravel. It accepts runoff & gradually leaches it into the surrounding soil.

11 minutes ago, ben_r_ said:

Same here.

Same here, only some people don't seem to understand what "no" means.  We have one family about 5 doors down and another somewhere close, I don't know where but with in ear shot, that have roasters.  At least they have them early in the morning.LOL

Holy crapy happy birthday to you!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

thanks bud!

For the record, I wasn't trolling for HBDs - just sharing something I thought was kinda cool!

Oh i know but that's an awesome birthday gift. I got a stanley no5 made between 1900 and 1910 for Christmas and i thought i hit the jackpot.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Happy birthday old man! That is a really cool sign. Im guessing your sis got it custom made? Id love to have one like it, except of course with my name amd not yours ?

Just heard back from her - it's an etsy store front:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/KnobCreekMetalArts

I'm not sure how we'll make the theme work but I think you should find a way to get this one:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/156375619/keep-running-trex-and-running-woman?ref=shop_home_active_7

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Cool Matt! Thanks for the info. Im going to get one of those one day fur sure.....

Not too sure about the t-rex one lol!

You going to ask them to customize it in Festool Green???

Cool Matt! Thanks for the info. Im going to get one of those one day fur sure.....

Not too sure about the t-rex one lol!

You going to ask them to customize it in Festool Green???

You guys should be helping me with my addiction not encouraging it !!