Stand-alone shop build

-MattK-

You guys should be helping me with my addiction not encouraging it !!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

There's only 2 ways to deal with Fesdiction. Never start or buy it all.  Getting help from others fails 100% of the time. 

Wiser words have never been spoken Bryan. I will keep buying, thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 11:43 PM, estesbubba said:

Well looks like they changed their description on the website. I bought mine in store over a year ago and the boxes had High Output on them and so did the display description. The price for the standard output T8 fixtures are $40. 

Hey Mike, the lights arrived yesterday - you're right, they say "high output" right on the box.

I wired one up to a plug and tried the bulbs - the "HO" thing doesn't seem to add anything special (compared to another light fixture that I tried with the same bulbs)

lights.thumb.jpg.2c8a7f834dfa46a2722b31e

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress again!  The mini-split HVAC unit was roughed in last week.  I finally found a great electrician who started wiring the shop yesterday and continued today.  He's almost complete -  just a few finishing touches tomorrow. 

Inspections later this week (I hope) for electrical, HVAC and then framing.  And fingers crossed - the slab is finally getting poured next week (expecting temperatures in the 50s and even 60s!).  I can almost envision rolling tools in there.  And it won't be soon enough since I'm about to order a PM1500 as soon as the sale starts.

Passed the electrical inspection on Monday.  I was amazed at how cursory the inspection was.  He looked at one plug, opened the panel, and signed the sheet!

Floor was poured on Tuesday.

56e0ff7ddac7e_2016-03-0809.38.19-2.thumb

I'm torn on what to do with the floor.  I'm impatient, so I don't want to wait 30 days for it to cure before putting an epoxy finish on... I like the idea of a sleeper and hardwood floor, but I feel like that probably shouldn't go in until the concrete's cured as well.

In the meantime I want something to seal the concrete to keep the concrete dust down.  Everything at HD needed 28-30 days of curing before being applied.

The concrete guy told me to get a "cure and seal" at a masonry supply store.  I called a few and found the stuff just over the border in Port Chester, NY.  I picked up a 5 gallon bucket and read the application instructions.  It said to apply by sprayer to green concrete and that it could only cover 600 sq ft (I have ~750).  I decided to go for it, figuring I could just get a real thin coat on.

I must have screwed something up because I used around half of the bucket and the stuff was pooling on the concrete.  Either the concrete had already cured too much or maybe the label was 600 sq ft per gallon. 

I've been trying to get the excess off the floor because it isn't drying.  All I had on-hand was a paint roller with a long handle, but that was pretty good for moving the stuff around.  So I pulled as much off as I could.

On my way to play soccer tonight and hit HD to grab one of those squeegee things.  I ended up in the shop at about 1145 tonight, pushing more of the excess liquid off the floor.  I've close the shop up, hoping there's still some curing that's going to heat it up in there.  The floor's a bit slippery!

We've also been painting for 2 days - we've finished two coats on all the trim.  It's looking really good!  Lot's of help from my wife (who'll be pissed at me for posting this picture, so let's keep it our secret!).  I'm SO tired of being up and down that dang ladder, I can't wait for this to be done!

56e10193b91d9_2016-03-0816.58.35.thumb.j

Framing inspection tomorrow... insulation on Saturday, I think.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, andrew-in-austin said:

Those colors look fantastic

thanks Andrew, my wife picked out the gray trim color - I was so unimaginative, I was going with white.  I'm happy I let her make the decision, I love how it's coming together.

And I'm pretty much both of those colors now.  I had to take a scotch-brite pad into the shower with me!

3 hours ago, Marcel.F said:

I really like the lights above the overhead door. I'm at the same stages of building my garage also. I might go with the same style of fixtures. Thanks for the inspiration! Here's a look a mine if it helps...

Marcel---

Looks great, Marcel!  I assume that's an RV door there in the middle?

Here's the light - most affordable one I could find in that style:  http://www.amazon.com/CANARM-BL16WACBK-Outdoor-Aluminum-Light/dp/B00NA4VLBU/ref=sr_1_8?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1457698568&sr=1-8

Haha. Nope it's just a 10'-0" door because...why not. The idea was that my wife would park on the small side and my shop would be on the large side. So I built the shop farther away from the house and installed a narrow door. Now she refuses to park in there because it's to far and she's scared to scratch her car on the door. She suggested I just take over the entire shop ! She's such a sweet heart, or just very predictable hahaha

Thanks for the link.

Marcel---

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Matt is the picture above wackef out of proportion? The door looks about  12" wide

yeah, it looks funny on my phone but ok in the browser.  I changed the size of the picture because it was obnoxiously large when I added it to the post.

4 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Do any of the windows in the lantern on the roof open ? That could create a nice draft to vent the hot air in the summer. 

Great idea Steve but unfortunately they don't.  You can really feel how much heat build up in the higher parts of the building, too!  Hopefully good insulation and a strong A/C will make up for it.

Insulated last Saturday (I outsourced it - they did it in probably 2 hours... I think it would have taken  me 2 days!).  Then put plywood around the walls, covering the bottom 48".  Not sure how I'll finish the plywood - considering either a light grey stain or just plain old poly.  The drywall above is going to be grey.  (I know, I know you should paint the walls white, but I just couldn't face working in a bright white box)

56ec0e36ce696_plywoodonwalls.jpg.c7992b8

The drywall crew is here now, doing the rest of the walls.  Temperatures are about to get cold - and we're expecting a snow storm Sunday evening, so not sure how well the joint compound will dry.

Also, my birthday present showed up, my first mustardy-gold purchase:

pm1500.thumb.jpg.e160bca5ee8380c8fb0a190

(it's a PM1500... not pictured, the PM drill press that somehow jumped into the shopping cart with the bandsaw)

The wall behind the bandsaw in the picture above is going to be paneled in wide v-groove pine boards.  I'll either stain or poly them like the plywood.

Really excited to have the end in sight!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, -MattK- said:

Insulated last Saturday (I outsourced it - they did it in probably 2 hours... I think it would have taken  me 2 days!).  Then put plywood around the walls, covering the bottom 48".  Not sure how I'll finish the plywood - considering either a light grey stain or just plain old poly.  The drywall above is going to be grey.  (I know, I know you should paint the walls white, but I just couldn't face working in a bright white box)

The drywall crew is here now, doing the rest of the walls.  Temperatures are about to get cold - and we're expecting a snow storm Sunday evening, so not sure how well the joint compound will dry.

Also, my birthday present showed up, my first mustardy-gold purchase:

(it's a PM1500... not pictured, the PM drill press that somehow jumped into the shopping cart with the bandsaw)

The wall behind the bandsaw in the picture above is going to be paneled in wide v-groove pine boards.  I'll either stain or poly them like the plywood.

Really excited to have the end in sight!

I really like the thought of a weathered grey stain on the plywood below the gray Sheetrock it might look really neat could try doing some small pieces next to each other.

Congrats on the new saw, I'm jealous i need a good band saw but i don't have the space to put one :(.  There's been a jet sitting on the showroom floor of the acme in town that's begging me to take it home. I do hate it when tools enter your shopping car unexpectedly like that. It's just so unfair. I don't want to make it feel like the kid that got left out at gymn class so the only option is to buy it, right?

• Like 1