Stand-alone shop build

-MattK-

4 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Someone screwed up the location of the garage door opening. You can see it was framed in to the right of the actual door. You see the header and the jacks. They then framed in the opening and re framed it in the correct location.....

Actually I asked them to frame for another door in case the next owner wants to cut the wall and concrete out to add another garage door.   Might be a car guy who lives in this house next!

• Like 1

Someone screwed up the location of the garage door opening. You can see it was framed in to the right of the actual door. You see the header and the jacks. They then framed in the opening and re framed it in the correct location.....

Actually I asked them to frame for another door in case the next owner wants to cut the wall and concrete out to add another garage door.   Might be a car guy who lives in this house next!

Very good idea!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Does you neighbour heat with wood, or is his house on fire?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drzaius said:

400A service... Do you use electric for heat there?

We only have electric heat in one room.  But we do have 2 AC zones and a pool...   speaking to the electrician we decided to upgrade to a 400 amp panel.  There's room to build the house up another floor (though it's already more living space than we need) so we planned ahead a bit for the next owners.

Speaking to the guy from the power company when they did the upgrade, he said that 400 amp is normal for our town - lots of houses have 800+ amp services.  (there are some big effing mansions here, it's ridiculous)

31 minutes ago, hhh said:

Ahhh, that's right, Riverside is part of Greenwich township... $200/sq would be about right for an Architect job... :)

I can see the limitations from the site plan... I'd have been tempted to off-set it towards the rear deck -- that way you could feign a dip in the pool and sneak-off to the shop...  :)

I see the drainage setup... My parents are in the Old Lyme area, so get the stormwater requirement... Post Sandy town requirements are a bitch... :)

No septic field? No bathroom?

we're on town water, town sewer and have natural gas.  Huge upgrade from when we lived in Ridgefield CT and were on a well, septic, propane, and oil.

Bathroom (or even just plumbing) in the shop was going to be too much money - $10-15K.  I figure I can sneak out the back door and water any of my wife's plants that look thirsty! ;-)

17 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Does you neighbour heat with wood, or is his house on fire?

So they knocked down this little s@&$box of a house behind us and are building the maximum building size for their lot. It must be a really nice house with high end finishes because they've been doing masonry work on the chimney for 4+ weeks and have a fire burning in a barrel every day. Smells really nice - like camping!

• Like 2

I'm sitting here watching the live feed with a co-worker, he used to be a contractor and is really entertained. He gave you 2 thumbs up for framing out 2 garage doors for future expansion. Not having plumbing might be inconvenient for finish work. Just having a utility sink for washing brushes and what not would have been nice but yeah a large cost.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, -MattK- said:

Bathroom (or even just plumbing) in the shop was going to be too much money - $10-15K.  I figure I can sneak out the back door and water any of my wife's plants that look thirsty! ;-)

Looks great! I put a sign on the back door of my house... Did you pee yet? Because invaribly every time I get to my shop...I have to pee.

Okay..I didn't really put a sign there, but I told the wife I might.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'm sitting here watching the live feed with a co-worker, he used to be a contractor and is really entertained. He gave you 2 thumbs up for framing out 2 garage doors for future expansion. Not having plumbing might be inconvenient for finish work. Just having a utility sink for washing brushes and what not would have been nice but yeah a large cost.

I'm sure I'll regret not putting plumbing in but Future Matt can handle it. He's rich, handsome, in really good shape, reads fine literature...  Im sure he'll figure it out!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, drzaius said:

What's the horizontal blocking for? Board & batten siding?

I gotta get out of the office. I'm getting nothing done today.

It's just pine shiplap siding... not sure what those horizontal pieces are - I'll let you know more when I get closer to it.  (I'm itching to get in there!)

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Future Matt sounds like a great guy. it's a good thing that you have him around to help out with things.

haven't met him yet, just heard his reputation ;-)

14 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Is it lunch time?  Looks like a bunch of cal trans workers standing around

They're taking a "smoke-o" as my English wife just described it.  If I'd known they were about to have a break I would have taken them along to the 3rd grade orchestra concert I just went to across the street...  nothing like some hot cross buns!

22 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Man that thing is going up fast.  Was it pre framed and fabbed and just assembled on site?

yeah.  They assemble the walls and trusses off-site then knock them together on-site.  Finishing up with sheathing the roof today.  Tomorrow is windows and doors.  They screwed up the patio door cut-out (flipped dimensions) so there'll be a bit of finessing there. 

I believe that, once the foundation is in place, they get a building up in 4 days.

9 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I see kids working on site ... aren't' there child labor laws there!?!?  :D

the youngest got ahold of his mother's cell phone, so he's just walking around staring at that, not watching where he's going.  Starting to worry that my this may be the end of the gene pool!

27 minutes ago, hhh said:

Isn't WTO a family-friendly site? Unless my video feed was suddenly hijacked, I believe there was a demonstration of spousal approval --- at what was [probably] thought to be beyond camera range?... :)

I believe we'd just finished discussing where her new vegetable garden and chicken run are going.