Stand-alone shop build

-MattK-

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I really like the thought of a weathered grey stain on the plywood below the gray Sheetrock it might look really neat could try doing some small pieces next to each other.

We just picked up some grey stain and some pickled/white-wash stain that we're going to test on the pine and the birch ply.  My wife likes the idea of the white wash...  will test and share the results soon!

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

Insulation & drywall are good things to not do yourself. Looks good.

Are you building a separate room to house the compressor & dust collector?

Compressor is just going to sit in the corner - it's the Husky 33 gallon compressor.

Dust collector is going to hang on the wall - I'm going to see if I have room to close it in once it's up - I think it's going to be a tight fit.

1 hour ago, Marcel.F said:

You might have mentioned it in an earlier post. But I'll ask anyways. What are you using to heat the shop? Forced air, radiant tubs, Reznor unit heater, infloor hydronics? Or it's still up in the air.

as Steve said, it's a mini split for heating and air conditioning.  I went with one with "hyper heat" that can continue heating down to something like -13F.

Drywall is finished and the first coat of joint compound is on the walls.  I'm getting a much better feel for the space now.

You can get a better feel for the loft storage area and the vaulted ceilings.  The space feels a lot smaller!

56ee002322c65_drywall1.thumb.jpg.85702c4

56ee004b2f995_drywall2.thumb.jpg.8e27825

In the 2nd picture on the left you can see the bracket for the mini-split HVAC unit - I realized that it might be too high to get a 6" dust run above it - it may end up being a bit away from the wall.  When the HVAC guy comes back, I'll see if there's a chance we can drop it a few inches - even 2" would make a difference.

I also played a bit with the color scheme.  I have drywall, birch plywood, and pine that I'll be working with.  As for finishes, we have a paint color picked out, so we're trying to decide on how to treat the birch and pine.  I tried both a grey stain (minwax) and a pickled / white wash.  For the grey, I experimented with how long I left it on before wiping it off as well as what happens if I put a coat of the white wash over it.  Here are the test boards (pine is on the top left, painted drywall on the top right, birch ply on the bottom):

56ee011dc68e2_colorscheme.thumb.jpg.1d6b56ee0120b1571_colorscheme2.thumb.jpg.dd7

I didn't wipe the white wash off the entire board - it really wasn't changing the color of the board much at all...

We've decided on the grey stain, probably left on for 10-15 minutes (photo doesn't show the differences very well)

Question for the crowd: the minwax stain doesn't have any poly in it - the instructions say to follow-up with a coat of poly after it's dry "for protection."

Would you bother?

Matt the shop is looking amazing man. Our house is up for sale and we are moving and this thread is making me want to build a new shop when we move!!

I think you will need to lower your bracket quite alot more that 2" if you want to put a duct above it. The air intake is on top of those units and you also need to be able to open the door upwards to take the filter out to clean it.

Looks like the garage door rail is going to be a bit of a pita when using the loft storage or is that just the photo?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Poly or a waterbourne over the stain is a very good idea. Satin or semi gloss would be my preference. Gloss makes every flaw stand out .

A light sanding with the grain before staining will help get a more consistent appearance. 120 or 150 grit is fine enough. Sanding too fine will polish the surface and the stain won't take as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Matt the shop is looking amazing man. Our house is up for sale and we are moving and this thread is making me want to build a new shop when we move!!

I think you will need to lower your bracket quite alot more that 2" if you want to put a duct above it. The air intake is on top of those units and you also need to be able to open the door upwards to take the filter out to clean it.

Looks like the garage door rail is going to be a bit of a pita when using the loft storage or is that just the photo?

Thanks Shane, I'm in love with the space, I find myself walking out there all the time even though there's not much I can do at the moment!  I hope you get to experience the same thing in the new house.

I'll take a look at the air conditioning unit and see what the top and bottom look like.  Worst case I can go along the ceiling a bit out from the wall.

Re: the garage door rail - it's not that bad.  It's about 2' off the loft and I can get a ladder up to the right of it really easily.  The garage door is hopefully a temporary thing, my real goal is to have a set of out-swinging carriage doors which'll let me get rid of the garage door rails.  Anyway, I've been moving myself and sheets of plywood in and out of there - the only tough thing is how high it is!

7 hours ago, Woodenskye said:

Matt, I like the second set of test pieces, without white walls, the dark samples may make it feel even smaller.  Then again my opinion won't even get me a cup of jealous coffee.  I would also put poly on it as well.

7 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Poly or a waterbourne over the stain is a very good idea. Satin or semi gloss would be my preference. Gloss makes every flaw stand out .

A light sanding with the grain before staining will help get a more consistent appearance. 120 or 150 grit is fine enough. Sanding too fine will polish the surface and the stain won't take as well.

23 hours ago, Immortan D said:

AFAIK either you stain and then apply poly or you tint the poly. If you want protection for your wood you need poly, oil, etc. Stain alone won't protect anything.

ok, ok, I'll do the poly!!  :-) 

Steve, the can of stain says sand to 220 - but you think I can get away with 150?

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:01 PM, estesbubba said:

The shop is really coming along Matt and looking great!

Thanks, Mike!  Remember when you were doing all that painting?  I'm in that phase now.  Spent 3 hours this afternoon and then another 4 hours tonight after playing soccer just to get two coats on the ceiling done.  That vaulted ceiling's not looking like such a smart move now! 

But the electrician is supposed to come tomorrow so I wanted to get the ceiling done before the lights go up.

Floor's not so pretty now - I'm such a messy painter.  Lots of drips.  Oh and I knocked over a can of paint and ended up with about half a gallon on the floor.  Bad words were shouted.

Any hints for getting latex paint off of sealed concrete?  I'm honestly not that precious about it, I may just leave it unless someone has a no brainer way of dealing with it.

Oh yes I still remember how much that 19 gallons sucked! When I was painting my ceiling I put down a 10'x30' piece of poly that was leftover from my wall vapor barrier. Later when I was painting with a brush around lights, speakers, etc. I did get a few drips and tried to wipe up right away. I did miss a few and they are still there for character. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, -MattK- said:

Any hints for getting latex paint off of sealed concrete?

Come on man, its a shop floor not your dining room.  If it's going to look pretty all the time people are going to think you don't use your shop. :blink: 

• Like 1

Looking great Matt ! You're gonna love having a mini split in there. Year round comfort! The addition of a nice pellet stove would look killer in there too though, it's got a cabin look and feel to it. 

Oh, and hang a couple sconces and big moose head with a saw in its mouth on that gable end !

• Like 1

I really like the wood panel wall,  really like it. 

I didn't subscribe to the all white either. Currently I have two walls still OSB colored and don't mind it at all,  in fact,  the wall right by my bench gives a nice warm and easy light for working. 

It's looking great man. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:32 PM, Janello said:

Looking great Matt ! You're gonna love having a mini split in there. Year round comfort! The addition of a nice pellet stove would look killer in there too though, it's got a cabin look and feel to it. 

Oh, and hang a couple sconces and big moose head with a saw in its mouth on that gable end !

Thanks John!  How about something like this?

61RB4fg8PPL._SL1024_.jpg

14 hours ago, Da Hammer said:

Looks really nice!  Getting near the end of a shop re do at my place.  The mini split arrives Thursday and I have the day off to do the install, living in the deep south the A/C can't get here soon enough!  Congrats on a great looking shop.

Keep hold of everything!  I misplaced the remote for the HVAC... I think it got scooped up by one of the workers when they were cleaning up and now I'm waiting for the $50 replacement!  Luckily it's been 50s and 60s here, so I'm surviving!

10 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

I really like the wood panel wall,  really like it. 

I didn't subscribe to the all white either. Currently I have two walls still OSB colored and don't mind it at all,  in fact,  the wall right by my bench gives a nice warm and easy light for working. 

It's looking great man. 

Thanks Brendon - I love that wall, it's such a cool feature.  Here's a shot from tonight with all the lights installed - I think they compensate pretty well (oh and somehow a TV found its way onto that wall... no idea how that happened!)

2016-03-30 22.12.36.jpg

I'm also working on wood storage.  I initially bought those orange portamate wood storage racks but they wouldn't use the space I have very well, so I'm going with that storage system Marc put in, though I have a different idea for the plywood storage.  So far, I just have the vertical boards in, screwed into the studs.  It's the space I had framed out for the extra garage door, so the studs are in pretty random places but I think this'll work for storing different lengths of boards:

2016-03-30 18.08.15.jpg