Table saw from Craig's list

fishywood

• 6 months later...

Hi guys i'm sorry to piggyback on this topic if that is a no no however I am similarly trying to get into woodworking and am trying to start with a CL buy in the Cleveland Ohio area. Few questions for you guys is direct drive a bad idea?... belt drive better (at least considering long term use and possibilities?) Are there any brands to avoid? How hard is it to clean up a rusty top? I've found mostly older Craftsman saws around here  in the mid 200 range and don't mind a stationary saw but I see there is a wide variety of Craftsman saws?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, somebody please let me know if I should start up a new topic or remove my post.

Thanks

Thanks Brendon_t yea I'm hoping to start with building a pretty basic farmhouse table (sorry if that's pretty cliche) for my home and expanding from there. So I'm thinking I need to look for something with a decent cast iron table even if the fence sucks because that can be upgraded if need be with something like a Biesemeyer fence like they had said earlier.

Like Brendon said the direct drives are usually job site saw (small).  You might want to up your search to a contractor saw.  Most of them have cast iron tops and decent fences.  A little more heavy duty but still not a cabinet say.  Delta used to make a nice contractor saw, I think their quality has dropped off here recently but you might be able to locate a good used on from their good old days on CL.  If you can find one with their unifence you will be happy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Don't just poo poo a guy looking to make a serious call. What's your estimate? Is it legitimately 1.75 HP?

Do you think $200 is a fair price if the saw is all good guys ? I was thinking $150 but that may be to low.

• Like 1

Okay so here are a few (maybe prices are just high near me?)

Delta 36-600 looks well cared for and decent fence http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/5755476829.html I'd offer $150, 40 min drive

(NOTE I do not currently have a 220 in my garage) Powermatic (can't tell how whole saw looks)  http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/5741126691.html Offer 400? 30 min. drive

Another Delta 36-600 in good shape with roller base, basic fence http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/5716958228.html  Offer 220? Hour drive

Craftsman 3 HP Exact I Rip with Decent fence? http://youngstown.craigslist.org/tls/5754449707.html Offer 150? 1.5 hour drive

Mao Shan 1.5 HP not too exciting but seems priced well? http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/tls/5733863518.html Take the 65 dollar price tag? 1 Hour drive

Thanks guys for the input, be brutally honest as you have been I appreciate it more than BS.

I would choose the Powermatic first.  The price is a bit high in my opinion, but is a respected name.  I just don't like the wings more than anything.  Next would be the deltas, however if something happens, getting parts may be an issue.  I personally wouldn't touch the craftsman or the last one.

if you are in a position to save some money, the Rigid from Home Depot is a good saw.  Other people don't like grizzly, but their hybrid saw is a good saw to start with.  I believe it is around $750, looks like a cabinet saw, but the motor will be closely related to the Rigid.  

I have a Porter Cable saw and I didn't like the fence, so I upgraded to a vega fence.  Looking back with the price of the saw and the fence would have been almost the cost of the grizzly.  I should have saved for a cabinet saw, so I never need to upgrade. 

So to wrap up this long response, ask yourself the following question:

1) do you think this is something you will stick with long term?

If the answer is yes, at a minimum, buy the grizzly or save for a PM1000 or the 1.75 hp SawStop.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Woodenskye said:

I would choose the Powermatic first.  The price is a bit high in my opinion, but is a respected name.  I just don't like the wings more than anything.  Next would be the deltas, however if something happens, getting parts may be an issue.  I personally wouldn't touch the craftsman or the last one.

if you are in a position to save some money, the Rigid from Home Depot is a good saw.  Other people don't like grizzly, but their hybrid saw is a good saw to start with.  I believe it is around $750, looks like a cabinet saw, but the motor will be closely related to the Rigid.  

I have a Porter Cable saw and I didn't like the fence, so I upgraded to a vega fence.  Looking back with the price of the saw and the fence would have been almost the cost of the grizzly.  I should have saved for a cabinet saw, so I never need to upgrade. 

So to wrap up this long response, ask yourself the following question:

1) do you think this is something you will stick with long term?

If the answer is yes, at a minimum, buy the grizzly or save for a PM1000 or the 1.75 hp SawStop.

Just so I don't screw it up you're thinking these two (that follow) are good starters if I just save up a little longer?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13-Amp-10-in-Professional-Cast-Iron-Table-Saw-R4512/202500206

https://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw/G0771?utm_campaign=zPage

Thanks

18 hours ago, Wocket said:

Just so I don't screw it up you're thinking these two (that follow) are good starters if I just save up a little longer?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13-Amp-10-in-Professional-Cast-Iron-Table-Saw-R4512/202500206

https://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw/G0771?utm_campaign=zPage

Thanks

Yes, both of those would be better than the 5 saws you posted links to.  I am sure you can find plenty of reviews.  The grizzly being on sale is a plus.

• Like 1

First let me qualify that I am not a Grizzly basher.  That being said the G0771 has had a lot of bad press for fence alignment issues.  This is probably not surprising as the front rail is two pieces that have to be aligned and a lot of folks don't bother to properly align their saws at all let along the fence rail ;-) 

My point is that I have read a fair amount of complaints about the fence system but, I often attribute a healthy dose of "sour grapes" to a lot of the complaints I read about new machines. There are definitely better and lesser tools.  I just seem to find a lot of the results are proportional to the effort expended during setup.

• Like 1

I honestly didn't know of the 771 having any alignment issues, but maybe there were problems and that's why it's on closeout already.  I didn't think that saw had been on the market for very long...a year maybe?  The alignment issues with the 715 are well documented, as are the alignment issues with the Ridgid 4512.  Still yet, if at all possible, I'd get any of these three saws over a rusted piece of unknown from Craigslist.  Odds are you wouldn't get a lemon, and if you do, Grizzly or Home Depot will take care of it (returning a saw would be a big inconvenience though)

Just to drop in on the discussion. I picked up my r4512 used on CL ($150 steal) from some kids building a tiny home. I have to say, it's a fantastic entry-level saw. I've never had the trunnion alignment issue that seemed common early on, though the fence can be a bit finicky to get aligned at first (and mine needs to be re-aligned). It's a nice smooth-running saw, very little vibration, and plenty of power for dado's or hardwood rips. You can upgrade the wings to cast iron, or buy an Incra fence later on if you find a need for it.

The Ridgid has an integrated mobile base, so you can move it around the shop easily, and it still locks down on four feet. This has honestly been one of my favorite features, especially in a small shop. I know Grizzly offers a separate mobile base, but I have no experience with that.

Remember, you'll need to pay freight with Grizzly, unless you are near a showroom. If you have a truck, van, or large hatchback you can pick up the Ridgid and return it if you have problems. Not sure how Grizzly returns work.