Shop Survey: The Most Hunted Item

Rex Edgar

Pencil.  I've tried everything; magnetic clips, holsters, cups, string (twine?).  Not all of my shop shirts have pockets, magnetic holders are not strong enough, holsters/aprons are cumbersome and get in the way or snag on things.  The cups stay put because they are screwed down but, they always seem to be out of reach.  Drawers work when I am near them.

Once I am past using a pencil, a marking knife is easy to keep track of since I am generally at the bench.  I have a pencil with a magnet glued to it stuck on the jointer, planer, tablesaw and drill press.  I also have a cup of them by the grinder/sander station, one on an end panel of the assembly table and at one end of the bench on a leg. 

You would think it would be hard to be far from one but, I manage.  If only I had the ear shape that some folks seem to have that will hold a pencil.  Are mine too big, too small, they just won't stay put.

The remote control for my dust collector. It's got a clip to keep it on my belt but it catches on everything when I move around the shop. If I go out to the garage to break down stock and then back into the shop the search is on. Our cordless phone has a locator so you can push a button on the base and the phone starts to beep. The need to make a remote for dust collectors with that feature. A million dollar idea for someone.

3 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

The remote control for my dust collector. It's got a clip to keep it on my belt but it catches on everything when I move around the shop. If I go out to the garage to break down stock and then back into the shop the search is on. Our cordless phone has a locator so you can push a button on the base and the phone starts to beep. The need to make a remote for dust collectors with that feature. A million dollar idea for someone.

Tile

On 5/7/2016 at 7:51 PM, Rex Edgar said:

Well what is it? Is it glasses, tape measure, pencil, that beer that was here a minute ago or in my case, I use a walking stick to help me get around and I am always hunting that thing.

Let's hear from you what item is always getting away?

Pencils.

So I keep about a half-dozen of them scattered in different locations. That way if I misplace the one I'm using there's another near by. When shutting down I put on in the table saw miter channel because they fit so nicely and will always be seen right away the next day.