Sawstop on the way!

Cygnus A

I had a Grizzly G0715p for a little over half a year and was never happy with it (alignment issues that drove me insane), but it was enough for the woodworking bug to really dig into me. After the wife saw a few demo videos of the Sawstop she basically said I had to buy one (who am I to argue ?). I honestly didn't want to spend 3k on a saw but I did it.

I ended up going with the 3hp / 52" PCS and decided not to get a mobile base (I just don't see needing to move it around the shop).

The downside is I just finished an out feed table to match the G0715p before deciding to return it, so it will be a little small for the 52" Sawstop. At least it has adjustable height legs :) 

Congratulations, you'll be really happy!  And like gee-dub said the out feed table won't be a problem.  My out feed is about 20 inches narrower then my SawStop and I really can't think of a time that it has been a problem.

21 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I used to have all of the work surfaces in my shop the same height so i could slide between all of them. When i got my new saw it was shorter than everything so now that's no longer the case :(. It stinks but a better saw is worth the little quirks.

I too had common work surface heights so did this:

SawStop (2).jpg

I'd get a sore neck hunching over the origianl height.  Why's the little fella so short anyway!?!  :D

26 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

I too had common work surface heights so did this:

SawStop (2).jpg

I'd get a sore neck hunching over the origianl height.  Why's the little fella so short anyway!?!  :D

After i posed i was thinking about just that. My previous saw was a contractor saw that was mounted on a base i made myself. I shot for 38" because that's what was comfortable for me. my powermatic is 34" it was odd to get used to. I'm short too at 5'6" or 167.6 cm for the metric folk.

My SawStop gets here Saturday. Really excited.  It's a 3 hp, 36" and I did get the mobile base, though I missed the special. I had to leave my old out feed table with the move and no room for a dedicated table, so I'll be building something I can fold up when not in use. 

7 hours ago, Cygnus A said:

After the wife saw a few demo videos of the Sawstop she basically said I had to buy one (who am I to argue ?). I honestly didn't want to spend 3k on a saw but I did it.

Please have your wife give mine a call.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Nice saw but I think the guys sell them on this forum.:P

Sawstop doesn't need sales people. Make a good saw, give it a feature nobody else has - there is a reason they do well. 

Congrats to all who got one. I am jealous.

9 hours ago, Cygnus A said:

I had a Grizzly G0715p for a little over half a year and was never happy with it (alignment issues that drove me insane), but it was enough for the woodworking bug to really dig into me. After the wife saw a few demo videos of the Sawstop she basically said I had to buy one (who am I to argue ?). I honestly didn't want to spend 3k on a saw but I did it.

I ended up going with the 3hp / 52" PCS and decided not to get a mobile base (I just don't see needing to move it around the shop).

The downside is I just finished an out feed table to match the G0715p before deciding to return it, so it will be a little small for the 52" Sawstop. At least it has adjustable height legs :) 

You were able to return the Grizz?

1 hour ago, drdabrown said:

I have the same saw  /36" with the mobile base because my two car garage shop requires flexability. You'll love the saw and the overhead dust collection works great. I'm interested in what you do about your out feed table.

I made an out feed table that extends 30" from the saw, folds away, and is entirely self supporting. If needed, there is a 20" extension to the extension that folds out, but it needs support legs. I'll do a thread with photos when it's fully complete. Works great

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

You were able to return the Grizz?

Not the first I have heard of.  Every maker has an issue now and then (or just markets a certain product/model that really tarnishes their name).  Its how they handle that issue that sets folks apart.  Kudos to Shiraz for the things I have read about him doing.

When you get to the $3k tier, your choices widen up.  There area several good saws at this price point.  It seems saws are like cars; at tier "A" you get blah, at tier "B" you get blah, blah.  Our personal preferences and requirements make the final decision.

• Like 2

I'd like to see your out feed solution. Short term I'll use my first out feed - it's about 2'x3' piece of ply that has a vertical piece that fits in the center of my Workmate allowing me to adjust the height. Not elegant, but does keep longer boards from dropping off the back of the saw. I got the idea from a table saw book.