Other hobbies?

MisterDrow

Apart from the all consuming woodworking.

Ham radio - been licensed for decades.

Sound/music production/recording - involved in frequent shows for amateur theatre company.

Playing music - guitar and bass mainly but dabble in other instruments too. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Eric. said:

One of your hobbies is gooch? LOL  Yes I'm like a child.

Not Gooch!

It's pronounced Gwash.

Gooch would just sound silly. ;) I would never engage in an art form call Gooch. That would be embarrassing...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Painting(water colors, oils, acrylics, printing, gouache, ink, mixed media, etc.
 Fishing.
Climbing. Canyoneering (climbing backwards). Backpacking. Peak Bagging. Canyons of the Southwest.

Mountainbiking/cycling.

Tele-skiing.

Photography.

Literature/books.

Brewing.

Wildflower, wildlife, mushroom, and plant Identification.

Shooting.

Boating the Colorado, Green, and Snake Rivers, plus anything else I can get.

I'm sure there's a few more.

Oh yeah, almost forgot! Woodworking too!

+1. Pretty much all inclusive and probably then some?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eric. said:

Yeah I don't know if I'd classify beer drinking as a hobby but it's definitely one of my favorite ways to pass the time when I have some to spare.  I've brewed a few batches with friends of mine, and one day I'd like to get more serious about brewing.  The great thing about brewing is that you drink beer while you make beer.  Win-win.

I've always wanted to try homebrewing but don't have the proper space in which to do it right now. My wife's guinea pig and rabbit breeding operation has expanded such that I am currently building out a small room in the garage that we can insulate and air condition to make into an animal room. We're also looking at taking a couple of the rabbits (flemish giants, to be exact) and cross-breeding them with another meat breed and raising our own meat rabbits as well. Sustainable meat source for the win!

of course, we also have to balance this with HOA requirements... when the kids are grown we plan on moving just outside of town where we won't have to deal with HOAs.

14 hours ago, Mike. said:

Back when I was cooking all the time people would say "Have you seen the new Rachael Ray recipe?  I love her" or some stupid crap like that, and then I'd have to talk about Rachael Ray recipes for an hour.  Everyone was an expert even though 90% of the people did not put the effort into it that I did.  

As soon as people hear I am an app developer I get the a similar reaction. People tend to think that programming is super hard and amazing (akin to your 'I could never do that' comments you relayed) until they have money they want to spend on a project and then suddenly they don't want to pay for the actual effort it takes or they make comments like, "I know this isn't rocket science..." I quit freelancing as a web developer years ago before getting into web apps for solely that reason. Well, that and how insanely hard it was to get clients to pay their invoices.

As for cooking, when I first got married I learned that I love to cook. My wife, while she is an amazing cook, absolutely hates it. So I started learning to cook and still do so for 99% of the meals we have. That being said, after 16 years I still am by no means an expert and have a lot to learn but I can make some awesome food when I have the time to do so.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MisterDrow said:

As for cooking, when I first got married I learned that I love to cook. My wife, while she is an amazing cook, absolutely hates it. So I started learning to cook and still do so for 99% of the meals we have. That being said, after 16 years I still am by no means an expert and have a lot to learn but I can make some awesome food when I have the time to do so.

I'd cook for the family more, but then they wouldn't eat until 9pm.  I just don't get home in time for that.  But I try on the weekends.

A friend of ours likes to cook and challenged me to a "chili throwdown" because she thought of herself as an awesome cook.  Like really good.  We'd go to restaurants and she'd say this thing was "on point" and but that thing was "insipid".  You know, all the arm chair critic buzzwords.

In any case, II declined her challenge a few times because I don't like competition much.  I only compete against myself, as long as I am improving my personal best I am happy.  I don't need the game ball or bragging rights.  But she just wouldn't quit, kept trash talking, calling me a chicken.  So I said, "fine, game on".

I made a smoked beef short rib chili.  I smoked the short ribs overnight.  I made home made beef stock from oxtails.  I dried and roasted my own chilis and diced a few fresh chilis.   It was good.  It had a nice, thick texture from the gelatin in the oxtails.  I didn't need corn starch or any of the other cheats to thicken it.  You could taste contrast between the fresh and dried chilis.  The short ribs were soft and smokey but not mushy. 

She showed up with a crock pot.  I knew I won at that very moment.  Ok, crock pots are fine for wednesday night dinner, but if you call yourself a cook and challenge someone to a throw down, you can't show up with a crock pot.  Its the kreg jig of cookery.  She downloaded a recipe for white chicken chili from the Cheesecake Factory.  She used canned chicken stock.  And she really really thought she would win.  

We had about 15 people taste test and then allowed them to go back for seconds.  My pot was empty when it was done.  Her crock pot was still 50% full (and I made a lot more than she did).  I called off the judging out of sympathy for her.  Like we have discussed in another thread, too many people aspire to mediocrity because they don't know any better. 

9 hours ago, MisterDrow said:

As soon as people hear I am an app developer I get the a similar reaction. People tend to think that programming is super hard and amazing (akin to your 'I could never do that' comments you relayed) until they have money they want to spend on a project and then suddenly they don't want to pay for the actual effort it takes or they make comments like, "I know this isn't rocket science..." I quit freelancing as a web developer years ago before getting into web apps for solely that reason. Well, that and how insanely hard it was to get clients to pay their invoices.

Good programming is super hard, judging from the literally dozens of people I've worked with that are unforgivably bad at it. Not to mention the technical debt I'm constantly chipping away at in every job.

Oh and I'm also an amateur cook. Fairly decent at it. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hoo boy -- my interests are all over the place.

* Travel. When we play "If I Won The Lottery" game, the only major life change would be more travel. For my beautiful bride and I, experiencing other ways of living and other cultures is a huge reason to live. Travel broadens your horizons, your views of other people and lands, and gives you experiences that cannot be duplicated by watching a show on TV.

* Reading. I'm a voracious reader. History, biography, sf/fantasy, thrillers/espionage/mystery, how-to, you name it. When I was a kid I got yelled at for reading at the dinner table. They just didn't understand that the world between the book's covers was so much more fascinating than the mundane one being discussed at the table.

* Software. Computers have been a hobby since forever, and they're also my vocation and avocation. With so many years in software development, I have little patience for poor user experience and user interface. Most devs are great at solving technical problems but suck at solving *customer* problems. They compound the issue by believing they are great at solving the customer's problem. This is why I'm now content to edit technical materials instead of wrestle yet again with poor development practices.

* Amateur radio. Loved it as a kid. Finally got my license in middle age. Do emergency communications work for the City of Seattle, getting ready for The Big One.

* War games. Visiting Bloody Omaha triggered an ongoing passion for learning about conflicts and what brought them about. It's amazing how little people learn from history. The primary lesson seems to be that the higher one gets in status and stature, the less common sense and historical perspective applies. It's a wonder we've made it this far without turning the planet over to the cockroaches.

* Video games of the adventure/RPG variety. Because sometimes it just feels good to put a sword through a bad guy's head.

• Like 2

Wow, there are a lot more gun guys in this group than I figured.  I'm a draftsman/ project manager/ designer/ whatever has to be done to get the project out the door by day. 

Hobbies, I think I've tried most of them.  Generally if it involves being outdoors count me in.  I've gone down the backpacking road, motorcycling (dirt bikes and now own a dual sport), recently bought a Jeep.  The Jeep has been a lot of fun, I bought it in Feb. of this year (2001 Wrangler) and already taken it on the Rubicon trail and plan to do so again next year.  If you guys think woodworking can get expensive, start pricing out hydraulic assist steering and bigger axles for a Jeep!  I haven't gone down the axle road yet but someday for sure. 

I've always been into guns but a few years ago my dad and I got into competitive pistol shooting (I'm up to 3 1911's now, one colt ace, a colt .gov my grandfather owned, and my Springfield TRP I used for IDPA/ USPSA) and by necessity reloading (family has always reloaded for hunting rifles and shotguns but we got a Dillon to load pistol faster).  As of recent I've picked up a bit of a black rifle fetish (lol), something about owning the things that scare the liberals makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. 

For a while I was into film photography but when I moved back to the central valley there just wasn't anywhere worth getting film developed anymore.  I have picked up a new digital camera but I'm not happy with the kit lens and I'm not quite ready to venture down that rabbit hole yet. 

I've recently taken up big game hunting, although the area I live in is one of the toughest in the state as far as success rates go (CA zone D8).  My dad and I are starting to get back  into predator hunting again though, coyotes are something we have lots of around here. 

My other "hobby" is fixing up my house.  I bought a cheap house with an inheritance and have been fixing it up, I'm across the street from a small river in the foothills and if I play my cards right I should be able to almost double my money on it when I go to sell it.  The next house will have a little more property around it if all goes well. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, xxdabroxx said:

(I'm up to 3 1911's now, one colt ace, a colt .gov my grandfather owned, and my Springfield TRP I used for IDPA/ USPSA)

Nice collection. I love 1911's. My father left me a 1944 Remington Rand USGI and I just picked up a Wilson Combat CQB. I would love to get involved in IDPA some day, looks really fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Janello said:

Nice collection. I love 1911's. My father left me a 1944 Remington Rand USGI and I just picked up a Wilson Combat CQB. I would love to get involved in IDPA some day, looks really fun!

Very nice, I've shot a Wilson rental at a range once, very nice gun.  My dad has a Les Baer (Sp?) that is really nice too.  I'd love to have a WC one day, a carry sized one would be awesome. 

Don't wait, find a match near you and show up.  Bring about a hundred rounds and about 3 magazines, 2 mag pouches and a decent holster.  You'll have a blast, I was a safety officer and worked a couple state matches.  They can get a bit anal about the rules of their game, cover, moving and reloading, etc. but if you get past that you really learn your way around a gun better.  Then after you have done that a few times try out a USPSA match, although you'll need a lot more mag pouches for that game, they are a blast.  Much more running and gunning that IDPA where you pretty much always are shooting from cover. 

6 hours ago, Janello said:

After 48 years on this earth and too many hobbies to count, I just picked up another hobby. I recently got my firearms ID and inherited my fathers pistols, along with buying a couple shotguns and another handgun. I love going to the range now, but sporting clays have really grabbed my attention in a big way. Golf with shotguns...Who can resist!

That's another not-so-cheap hobby... and a fun one, too!

3 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

i love to pull the trigger on just about anything, NRA Highpower competition for the last 22 years, and out to 1000 yards with open sights every chance i get, and met some of the nicest people on earth along the way.

Funny how polite an armed society can be isn't it, despite what the media would have you believe of lawful gun owners.

I take it you enjoy the highpower competition, how is the pace?  I believe there is slow fire and rapid fire sessions?  Seems like it would be kinda relaxing.  I like sending lead down range.  I really haven't looked into it much, but my dad is starting to build an 18" AR with carry handle.  I really like the peep sights after using them a bit.  I could see how one could get pretty darn good with them. 

What do you shoot in highpower? 

Very nice, I've shot a Wilson rental at a range once, very nice gun.  My dad has a Les Baer (Sp?) that is really nice too.  I'd love to have a WC one day, a carry sized one would be awesome. 

Don't wait, find a match near you and show up.  Bring about a hundred rounds and about 3 magazines, 2 mag pouches and a decent holster.  You'll have a blast, I was a safety officer and worked a couple state matches.  They can get a bit anal about the rules of their game, cover, moving and reloading, etc. but if you get past that you really learn your way around a gun better.  Then after you have done that a few times try out a USPSA match, although you'll need a lot more mag pouches for that game, they are a blast.  Much more running and gunning that IDPA where you pretty much always are shooting from cover. 

+1

No reason to hesitate to get into a match. As long as you can handle a gun safely youre good enough for idpa. You could jump right into uspsa as well but its a bit more demanding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Janello said:

I love going to the range now, but sporting clays have really grabbed my attention in a big way. Golf with shotguns...Who can resist!

I used to shoot sport clays before i decided to buy a house and start woodworking. They ate all my time and i haven't shot in a few years now. I shot a Beretta 686 Onyx and it was like a dream every time i pulled the trigger. Beretta sure knows how to make a shot gun.