Opinions on Laguna Tools?

Griff

That's exactly what it smells like plus a bit more foul.  There are a lot of things that smell worse but didn't expect it in the shop when we started cutting that big hunk of wood.  Gotta' admit, though, a 14" resaw that thin is impressive.  It's a great saw and blade combo!

I have the 1412 bandsaw and the fusion table saw and I love them both.. I have heard horror stories about their customer service, but I have had great experiences with them so far so I can't complain. I like their products and they are comparable to other brands in the same price range etc. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I bought a Force 3 table saw in May of 2020 and STILL don't have all the parts.  Very poor quality and their shipping, quality control along with the horrible customer service made me file a complaint with the better business bureau.  I would stay away from them.  Customer service makes a lot of promises that things have been shipped, when in fact they have not.  Mangers hide behind voice mails and don't return calls.

39 minutes ago, Jonathan McCully said:

I’m planning to buy the 220V 14bx bandsaw once I get moved in to my new shop. It’s seemed to have reviewed really well and should hopefully be big enough for anything that I ever would need to do.

I would take a really hard look at the Harvey (no affiliation) C14. It appears to be identical to the Laguna LT14SUV (very well reviewed) that's $1999 at Rockler, other than the blade guides, and I prefer the Harvey style to the ceramic on the Laguna. I got a flyer the other day that had the Harvey at $1299, normally $1699. Even at that price it's a bargain, IMO. 3HP, rack and pinion table tilt, dual dust ports, dual position rip fence, cast iron wheels, etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mick S said:

I would take a really hard look at the Harvey (no affiliation) C14. It appears to be identical to the Laguna LT14SUV (very well reviewed) that's $1999 at Rockler, other than the blade guides, and I prefer the Harvey style to the ceramic on the Laguna. I got a flyer the other day that had the Harvey at $1299, normally $1699. Even at that price it's a bargain, IMO. 3HP, rack and pinion table tilt, dual dust ports, dual position rip fence, cast iron wheels, etc.

Thanks for the info @Mick S. Hadn’t ever heard of Harvey until you started throwing out their sales last week. I’m always a bit leery of brands that I don’t recognize, do they have a good reputation among woodworkers? Seems like those two saws are nearly identical except for price and even look nearly identical. And it says on their website that they had sold 15k of their previous 14” model under different branding.

1 hour ago, Jonathan McCully said:

I’m always a bit leery of brands that I don’t recognize, do they have a good reputation among woodworkers?

Others could probably address this better than I can. I know very little about them other than that Bridge City Tools was bought out by them. IMO, that says a lot. John Economaki, BCT founder, is known for his almost compulsive need for making the finest tools possible. I don't see him handing over his life's work to just any company. 

1 hour ago, Jonathan McCully said:

Thanks for the info @Mick S. Hadn’t ever heard of Harvey until you started throwing out their sales last week. I’m always a bit leery of brands that I don’t recognize, do they have a good reputation among woodworkers? Seems like those two saws are nearly identical except for price and even look nearly identical. And it says on their website that they had sold 15k of their previous 14” model under different branding.

Harvey is a good name they are just trying to enter the market. A lot of these companies are similar. I have a 14BX and like it. I personally love the ceramic gudes over ball bearing gudes. My guides will never wear or get loud or need replacement. The downside is they spark and it's weird but you get used to it, they also "supposedly" rob some power.... but a 3hp motor will never be taxed on a 14" saw in a hobby shop.

Ceramic guides are a european thing and is something they have been doing for a long time. It's a Ford VS Chevy debate there is no winner imo it's just preference.

I have purchased four Laguna tools, is this order: 1412 band-saw, 8" parallelogram joiner, 19-38 drum sander and 20" planer. I've been happy with all of them and customer service has been good.

China is not Taiwan and Taiwan isn't China. These names are no more interchangeable than Canada and USA.

Geetech, a Taiwanese company, manufactures most of the top consumer brands of consumer machines, as shown by this page: http://www.geetech.com.tw/index.php/en/strategic-partenrship   My 8" Laguna joiner came with a Baileigh manual.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Was interested in CNC router and a small co2 laser but I have to agree with other comments here and  that they resell a China made rebrand.  Inspite of what Laguna claims review from glass door/indeed paint a different picture --

"Laguna buys there machine from china, changes a couple things, put there logo on them and sell them for a $20,000 mark up." - Indeed employee

On 7/22/2016 at 4:54 PM, Griff said:

Just curious on ppls opinion of Laguna tools what you like what you dislike? What tools would be worth looking into? What machines stand out among the rest? Just curious!

I have the 18BX Bandsaw and it is the best bandsaw I have ever had.  I also have their 3hp cyclone Dust collector and it is also a winner.  I have been looking at their lathes at Woodcraft but I don't do enough turning to justify the purchase.